BURGERS EDWIN 1900 11 West Ham Essex
    BURGERS ELIZABETH 1876 35 West Ham Essex
    BURGERS ELIZABETH 1901 10 West Ham Essex
    BURGERS FLORENCE 1907 4 West Ham Essex
    BURGERS JAMES 1910 1 West Ham Essex

no other details its from free search

mm

Comment

thats them Mary thanks so much, yet I ticked the box for variations on Burgess and even left it off ???

Comment

If you use the 1911 site, itself, you can have "names starting with...", as well as wildcard names, in the free part of the search. That can give you ideas what to look for in the subscription sites.

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

thanks for that tip Christine but surely it should work the same on both sites ?? I have lost count of the people I cannot find even though I leave off surnames or whatever.

Comment

I supposed you had checked all Burgesses, so I just put Bur names starting with, and chose likely mistranscriptions, the 1911 site is very good for looking at names that dont quite add up

mm

Comment

thanks Mary will keep that in mind

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                thanks for that tip Christine but surely it should work the same on both sites ?? I have lost count of the people I cannot find even though I leave off surnames or whatever.
                I think it just depends on what search functions any site has. The underlying database is the same (approx - subject to the transcribers), but the overlying search machine may not be. This does mean that some kinds of search will be easier on one site than another - but that's also true with, say, FreeBMD/Ancestry: you get different things you can do on each site.

Christine
                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

thanks for that Christine .
                  I often cant find families on Ancestry but find them on FMP, but when I try to find them on Ancestry by using the census reference on FMP cannot find them at all ,sometimes when I do its because the name has been mistranscribed on Ancestry?

Comment

Working...
                  X