berlin genealogy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• berlin genealogy

i have an ancestor born in berlin sometime in the 1820's. but i cant find any info online about what records there are for berlin. i have found address books for parts of the city, but my family isnt mentioned. i know berlin is a large city, so it will most likely be that i never get any further on this branch, but i would at least like to know if anyone has had any success in berlin? i was reading the magazine, and someone seemed to have had luck with their jewish family. but those records seemed to be for after 1855, and im hoping to find christenings or a marriage in the mid 1820's. has anyone a clue as to the likelihood of survival of berlin's parish records?

Have you tried the Family Search library - they seem to have quite a few films for Berlin.
    Their research guides are often quite useful as well.

Family Search - Germany Research Guide (download as pdf file)
    Family Search - Library catalogue

Might be worth checking out our Germany page in the Reference Library as well.
    Elaine

Comment

Kylejustin,

Berlin may be a large city now but I believe it was comparatively small at the start of the C19 and experienced phenomenal growth later on.

Peter

Comment

thank you, elaine. the links are handy, but there doesnt seem to be much. though the lds catalogue had a large amount of parishes in berlin. my family doesnt show up on the igi, and i dont where in berlin the family is supposed to have come from, so i think that makes it more difficult, i also wonder how many records were destroyed in the war, and if my family was in those.

hi peter, i think so too, but it was prussia's capital for a while, so it must have started off large enough, or else there would be no need to make it the capital.

Comment

Hi kylejustin,

It has been interesting seeing your posts on your ancestors in Poznan, Berlin, etc, as you seem to be looking at very much the same areas as me.

Did you look at the Berlin address books on this site ?
          http://adressbuch.zlb.de/searchResul...1&ImgId=313601
          Yorkshire names: Brown, Weighell, Hudson, Hartley, Womersley, Laycock, Maude, Atkinson, Whittaker, Hammond, Hutton, Brook, Murgatroyd, Wright, Topham
          Warwickshire name: Hart
          German names: Peltz, Eichborn

Comment

hi chris, yes thats the site i was looking at. i was hoping i could find them. the name is problematic, luker. its spelled many ways: lucker, lucas, lucan. andmy ancestor was born anywhere from 1824-6.

Comment

Working...
            X