whoopee finally found them in 1841

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• whoopee finally found them in 1841

I have been looking for this family for ages in 1841 was determind to find them tonight and bingo found them in Gloucester ? never thought to look there at all, as they are in Bermondsey on everything else .
    now to find them in 1871 ?

Good for you Val , it's a good feeling to find a thread that you can follow.
    Sheilafromdownunder
    I think, therefore I am. Descarte

Comment

I cannot believe how I missed them Sheila ?? mind you it doesnt say where they were born which didnt make it any easier.
      Onwards and upwards lol

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
        mind you it doesnt say where they were born which didnt make it any easier.
        Out of county I hope!
        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

it has a N by that yes, cannot work out why they are there ??
          What exactly does Gloucester Union mean ???

Comment

Hi Val .. could it have been a workhouse?
            Don't put off until tomorrow what you can do today ~ follow your dream!

Comment

There was such a place as the Gloucester Union Workhouse.
              Stella passed away December 2014

Comment

thanks Lass and Stella that what I was thinking ??? what a family they had 9 children cant find any of them in 1861 and 2 of them not in any census records at all, and not much of them after that either.

Comment

Gloucester Union will be the workhouse. Did either of them come from Gloucester? They may have been sent back by the Bermondsey authorities to avoid Bermondsey having to keep them. I see they say they weren't born in Gloucestershire on the census, but the form would have been filled in by the workhouse officials.You might find more records at Gloucester records office and you can check their online genealogical index on the Glos. Records office website.
                  ~ with love from Little Nell~
                  Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Have you traced them further back through the PRs?

Comment

hi Nell no none of them were born in Gloucester ??? the father and all the kids were born in Bermondsey the mother was born in St Martins Middlesex? thanks for that info about the Glos records office.
                      I have got their baptisms Velma except for two of the children none in Gloucester.
                      See my other thread about this family.

Comment

I don't believe they were in the workhouse. The enumeration district listed as Gloucester Union includes a number of sub districts which are all civil parishes in Gloucester.
                        Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Perhaps they came from Bermondsey and went to Gloucester to work? If they were in the workhouse, then they may have been sent back to Bermondsey??...

Comment

thanks Judith thought it odd
                            and thanks Velma .

Comment

Working...
                            X