Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Computer speed how do I convert from Kbps to MB ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer speed how do I convert from Kbps to MB ?

Just checked my broadband speed on this site

Check your broadband speed test using our easy and accurate broadband speed checker.

but dont quite understand ?
    it says my download speed is 2216 Kbps upload speed 330 Kbps
    how does this convert into MBs
    As it then says the top speed should be 8MB

2216 kbps (kilobits per second)= 2.216 mbps (megabits per second), and 330 kbps = 0.33 mbps

Here's a handy link for you: http://www.numion.com/calculators/units.html
    And some information on why the speed you're getting may be lower than the top speed advertised: http://www.broadbandspeedchecker.co...._distance.aspx

Also see: http://www.internetfrog.com/mypc/speedtest/
    "However, the advertised Bandwidth is not always accurate. ISPs often allow a greater number of users to operate on their network than their network can handle at the download speeds published. ISPs assume that not all users will be on the network at once and not using the maximum download capabilities available. Therefore, your Broadband download speed can vary significantlyby time of day and day of the week depending on how busy the network is."
    Last edited by Cloggie; 23-06-10, 11:03.
    Sarah

Comment

divide by 1000 so 2216kbps is 2.2 mbps
      Mike in Droitwich

My family tree is on
      http://mjfisher.tribalpages.com

Comment

thanks Sarah and Mike, thats not good then as I was told I would be getting more like 8MB ummmmmmmmm

Comment

What you have to realise with broadband speeds is the phrase 'up to xMB'.
          Providers state the best speed with the most optimum connections, but many factors create the actual 'throughput' of the speed that you get.

Picture a 4 lane motorway at 3am....empty, so can get maximum speed
          The same piece of road at 9am....full and crawling at 40MPH

The same goes for the Internet connection, local connections, users etc all factor in to slow the speed.
          You will never get the maximum that they claim, unless you are virtually next door to the server that they use.

Researching:
          FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

Originally posted by TrevorFranklin View Post
            What you have to realise with broadband speeds is the phrase 'up to xMB'.
            Providers state the best speed with the most optimum connections, but many factors create the actual 'throughput' of the speed that you get.

Picture a 4 lane motorway at 3am....empty, so can get maximum speed
            The same piece of road at 9am....full and crawling at 40MPH

The same goes for the Internet connection, local connections, users etc all factor in to slow the speed.
            You will never get the maximum that they claim, unless you are virtually next door to the server that they use.
            What a brilliant way of explaining broadband speeds!
            Feel free to visit my site: http://familyhistory4all.co.uk
            Beginners guide to tracing your family history. Plus monthly Newsletter

Comment

My supplier says up to 8mbps but the distance I live from the telephone exchange means that my line is physically incapable of giving me more than 2mbps and I actually get 1.688 mbps.

I see you use http://www.broadbandspeedchecker.co.uk/ if after you have have done your speed test you look at the right hand side of the screen you will see "See results in your area" this gives a map of your postcode area and shows what speeds other people are getting. How does yours compare?

HTH
              Mike in Droitwich

My family tree is on
              http://mjfisher.tribalpages.com

Comment

thanks for that Trevor does explain it better, Mike I did that and its the same, they really should not be allowed to say they are putting the price up as you will be getting up to 8MB as I am still getting the same speed for more money .

Comment

Val, if you're still getting the same speed as you were before the announcement, it could be that they haven't upgraded your exchange yet. That's what's happened with my connection. The "up to" speed was increased free of charge from 3 Mb to 8 Mb a few months ago. I'm getting just around 6 Mb. And then a short while later they sent out a message saying it would be upgraded to 12 Mb with a 10 cent/month increase in the subscription price. But they were a bit premature in sending out the e-mail, because they are experiencing major delays in upgrading the exchanges. So I'm still getting 6 Mb at the moment. I'm not complaining though as it's still double the speed I was getting a few months ago.
                  Sarah

Comment

hi Sarah I am getting the same speed I have been all along , and there is no signs of them upgrading it , there is a huge article about Broadband in the Sunday Express very interesting reading it is too.
                    I get fed up as I am still paying for the so called FREE Talktalk as they have not bundled here yet, and I dont want to keep messing about changing suppliers.

Comment

If they have said your speed is going up, but you have seen no change except a higher bill, then I think you should complain to your provider. You should at least be seeing some increase in speeds even if you don't reach the full 8 Mb.
                      Sarah

Comment

hi Sarah and thanks again ,have you tried talking to talktalk ????? all I get is false promises, and as I said I dont really want to mess around changing providers again, plus its so hard to work out which is the best deal.
                        Thanks again I may try and ring them ??? but the background music is bad enough .

Comment

Originally posted by FamilyHistory4All View Post
                          What a brilliant way of explaining broadband speeds!
                          I have to teach network technologies to students and using examples like this really put it over.
                          I have even handed them toy cars and moved then further apart in the room before they start pushing them on the tracks.

Researching:
                          FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                            hi Sarah and thanks again ,have you tried talking to talktalk ????? all I get is false promises, and as I said I dont really want to mess around changing providers again, plus its so hard to work out which is the best deal.
                            Thanks again I may try and ring them ??? but the background music is bad enough .
                            Val, talktalk use the BT telephone lines, as do Sky, Supanet AOL etc.
                            The provider will make no difference until BT upgrade the cables that the signals travel along.

Only Virgin had it's own lines installed (Via the old NTL contracts) when cable TV was being installed across the UK.

Just be thankful that you are not one of the 30% of the UK population who are not even connected to a digital exchange, so cannot get any form of broadband and have to settle with dial up at a snail pace connection.

Researching:

Comment

I would just die Trevor if I did not have the internet.

Comment

000000 aaaahhhh Vallee please don't die ....

Comment

I'll try wot you doing here this time of day ?

Comment

Working...
                                  X