Can anyone find Isaac and/or Martha?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone find Isaac and/or Martha?

I have Isaac Thomas Graham, born Walton , Liverpool, 1880 together with his wife Ada (Cass) on the 1901 census in Bury, Lancs.

1911 census shows Ada Graham and her children still in Bury but living in the household of Laurence Cass her father. I can't find any mention of Isaac Graham after c1902 when his son was born.

Also I have Isaac's sister Martha Allen Graham, born 1894 in Bury on the 1901 census living in the household of Thomas Graham, (1858, Dumfries). She too can't be found anywhere after this date.

Please can any of you clever sleuths find Isaac and/or Martha for me?
    Cath.

Well there's this death:

Isaac Grantham age 20, died q3 1904 Stockport (vol. 8a page 65)
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

And this marriage:

Martha Ellen Graham, q1 1909 Burnley (vol 8e page 323) to Jesse Bannister or an unknown second man.

Off to LancsBMD. Yes it is Jesse Bannister, at Burnley Holy Trinity. (Registers at Preston)
      Last edited by Uncle John; 22-06-10, 20:07.

Comment

Thanks, U.J.

I suspect that Isaac Grantham was the one born 1883 in Chorlton (nearer to Stockport than Bury is) but the Martha you found looks promising. If I can get my free 90 mins on FMP today I'll check it out on the 1911.

Thanks again.
        Cath.

Comment

U.J. The Martha you found was the wrong one. I just can't understand where all these people disappear to!!!!
          Cath.

Comment

Hi

There is a Martha Allen in 1911 an inmate at Holly Mount - Tottington Near Bury - Lancashire. a Housemaid aged 15 b Bury.

1911 Census
            ALLEN, Martha
            BURY, Lancashire
            Reference RG14PN23458 RD462 SD1 ED22 SN9999

Wendy
            ;D NONA
            VEAL, PRICE, STURGE, BELLET, DREW, TAYLOR Som/Glos COTTERELL, NAPPER, NASH, FLEETWOOD, HANDLEY, COLLINS, BROWN Ledbury, Bromyard, Herefordshire, Worcs, NASH, TYLER Warks, Kent, CROWE, REYNOLDS Suffolk, CARLSON/CHARLSON Sweden/E Ldn, COX Wilts 'Trego STILES', DORTON Middx, Surrey
            PROBABLE IMPOSSIBILITIES ARE TO BE PREFERRED TO IMPROBABLE POSSIBILITIES - ARISTOTLE

Comment

Thanks Wendy,

She's a possibility but I think she's more likely to be Martha Jane Allen, b. Bury 1894 than "my" Martha A. Graham but Holy Mount records are held locally so I'll follow it up.
              Cath.

Comment

Well it was worth a try. I'm now in limbo. My Ancestry sub. has run out and I'm waiting for my "bargain" FTM 2010 to be able to renew.
                Last edited by Uncle John; 23-06-10, 15:12.

Comment

I think I may be able to help with info regarding Isaac Thomas Graham. Like you I couldn't find him on 1911 census, however I did find him in Liverpool as he signed up for military service in 1915. He was living with his maternal aunt Catherine Ann Gittins(nee McLellan) at 9 Loxdale Street Dingle (now demolished). i know this is correct because as a child I visited this address many times to visit Catherines descendants. If you have access to ancestry.co.uk you will be able to view Isaac military records and they do make interesting reading! I was lead to believe he died relatively young around mid 40's so this ties in with a death at 69 Beresford Street Dingle(around corner from Loxdale Street) in 1926 age 46. In will he left £39 2s to a lady called Eliza Kelly. As for Martha Allen Graham I am not sure what happened to her but I did find a marriage to a Squire Milner in Bury in 1919

Hope this is some help to you

Susi m

Comment

Working...
                  X