BUCHANAN George of Arden House, Bonhill, Dunbartonshire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BUCHANAN George of Arden House, Bonhill, Dunbartonshire

The 1841 Scotland census shows my GG Grandfather George Buchanan of Arden House, 35, independent means married to Elizabeth (nee Stewart) also 35. Who were George"s parents and is he the same George who appears on the 1851 Cheltenham UK census? One of their children, John Robert b 1841 Scotland, immigrated to Victoria, Australia c1858.
    Any help with my search greatly appreciated
    Kath
    Last edited by Guest; 21-06-10, 21:56.

Comparing the 1841 Scottish census to the 1851 Cheltenham census I would definitely say they are the same family. On the Ancestry transcription there is a Theresa Buchanan listed, but if you look at the image I think you will find it is actually Herbert who appears in 1841 as the eldest child.
    Do you know if George was born in Dunbartonshire - the image of the 1841 census should show if he was born in the county or not.
    Elaine

Comment

My Bonhill folk sometimes said they were born in Jamestown, which is part of the same urban area.
      Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Elaine, thanks for the response, in answer to your question did I know if George was born in Dunbartonshire, short answer....no. And that is my problem, I know nothing more about George than the census info of 1841, 1851 and 1861 where Elizabeth is recorded as widow. George is recorded on John Roberts Victoria, Australia marriage cert as Landed Proprietor, Scotland and on John Roberts death cert as Independent means, Scotland. So really I would love to find record of this Great great grandfather George. I did think I may have found a marriage for George and Elizabeth Stewart, July 2 1820, Barony, Lanark, Scotland, but not so sure if Herbert is their first child in 1831 then thats a wide gap between wedd and 1st child.

Comment

here is a mention of arden house and the Buchannans

mm

Comment

these are the same family for 1841

A submitted entry IGI
            GEORGE BUCHANAN Birth:* 1806** Of Arden, Bonhill, Dunbarton, Scotland
            Marriages:
            Spouse:* ELIZABETH GRACE BOGLE SMELLIE Family
            Marriage:* 05 JUN 1830** Bonhill, Dunbarton, Scotland

3 children from parish registers

Herbert Buchanan Baptism/Christening Date: 25 Jul 1831
            George John Buchanan Birth Date: 07 Sep 1835
            Grace Isabella Buchanan Birth Date: 13 Aug 1832
            Birthplace: BONHILL,DUNBARTON,SCOTLAND
            Father's Name: George Buchanan
            Mother's Name: Elizabeth Grace Bogle Smellie
            Collection: Scotland Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950
            mm

Comment

Many thanks for your response,
              Having read this I now think this is not my George as the only infomation I had to start out was from my Great grandfathers (John Robert b c1841 Loch Lomond) Australian marriage and death certs. The 1874 marriage cert stated his father as George Buchanan, Scotland, Landed Proprietor and the 1919 death cert father as George Buchanan, Scotland, Independent means In both instances mother was recorded as Elizabeth Jane Stewart, Scotland. So I'm lost in the dark again back to square one with no idea who George is. I ran with info supplied to me via the net and now think I did not have all the facts
              Kath
              Last edited by Guest; 23-06-10, 23:39.

Comment

Working...
              X