Probate Registry at High Holborn, advice needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Probate Registry at High Holborn, advice needed

Have tried to phone the Probate Registry at High Holborn but it's always engaged. Can anyone tell me if you need to make an appointment to search the Probate Calendars and if there is anything I should take in preparation e.g. ID?

I want to visit with a friend in a few weeks time and understand from this forum that the room is now quite small so don't want to go only to find it's full up.

Any tips would be appreciated.

It's open to all, no appointment needed. You have to go through security, (bags xrayed, & step through a metal detector doorway). Take the lift to the the top floor where there is a search room with ledgers and some computer terminals. There are no longer any lockers so travel light.

When you've found a will that you want there's a form to fill in which you take with the ledger for the clerk to check, once it's checked you queue again to pay the cashier, wills take up to an hour to be produced or you can have them posted to you, both services cost £5.
    Last edited by Jill on the A272; 21-06-10, 18:45. Reason: extra info

Comment

Gosh - 50p when I visited!! (many years ago) And another 50p for a photocopy!

Jay
      Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Great, thanks for the info, just what I needed. Will go armed with a large pad and pencil, plus some money.

Comment

Working...
        X