Findmypast access on Wednesday 23rd - some tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Findmypast access on Wednesday 23rd - some tips

I have collected these tips from the FMP blog and also from our own site following the feedback on the last two occasions.

1. Make sure you’ve registered
    on findmypast by midnight Tuesday 22 June (UK time) for the next World Cup offer (if you’ve already registered there’s no need to do so again).

Return to findmypast.co.uk any time between 9am UK time on Wednesday, June 23 and 9am Thursday, June 24 and sign in: you can now even watch the match too!

2. Remember that as soon as you sign in to the site between 9am Wednesday (UK time) and 9am Thursday your 90 free minutes will start – so be ready to begin your research then! All you need to know is here: http://bit.ly/brR6Bc.

The offer runs for 24 hours, so maybe it's worth staying up late or getting up early!!

3. If you get a payment page rather than free access: this is because somebody else was using your computer to sign in earlier in the day - they restrict it to one free period per match day per computer....

4. It has been recommended that if you are unfamiliar with the searching of FMP (you can't see the images), that you practise with the 1881 census before the day itself.

5. If you are a subscriber, then it is best to avoid using the site on the day and certainly during the match as it is bound to be slower than usual.

6. Peak time last Friday was early evening - when people are home from work in the UK and while the match itself was on.

7. If you normally use Firefox and find you cannot download the viewer on the day, then it might be worthwhile using IE during your free time, rather than wasting time trying to view the images using FF. Your Flash also needs to be up to date. To save time, you could download the viewer in advance.

See: http://www.findmypast.co.uk/helpadvi...ewer/index.jsp

N.B. England will be playing at 3 o'clock in the afternoon on Wednesday.

And last but not least, hope that England plays better this week and gets further in the tournament ... then maybe there will be more time for your searching!!

Last edited by Caroline; 21-06-10, 14:08.
    Caroline
    Caroline's Family History Pages
    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

I know Caroline has already said this, but I think it is something which caught out quite a few people.
    You can only log in once during the day - so if you log in and only search for 10 minutes, then that is the end of your free 90 minute session - you cannot log in later to use up the other 80 minutes!

As for Caroline's comments about England getting further in the competition .... my advice is to make the most of next Wednesday's FMP offer! :D
    Elaine

Comment

Thanks Caroline... some great advice there

I'll be on FMP around this time on 23rd... so if all you lovely people could arrange yourselves around that, then it should work like a dream... (yer right, OK, but that's my cunning plan) ;)

Somehow, though, I think it will be our last opportunity to free access during the world cup!! ;D

Comment

see you pessimists out there we got through YYYEEEAAA

Comment

lol Val! Yes, well done to England.
          Hope everyone is finding stuff on FMP during their freebie time! More to come when England play next which I think is on Sunday.
          Elaine

Comment

Oooh, more freebie's.......i've found some more goodies tonight - i'm well chuffed...Lol
            Jacky

Comment

Worked like a dream tonight - got what i wanted - now to make another list
              Jayne

My avatar is great great granny Annie Pugh, possibly christened 24 Feb 1858.

Comment

Don't forget - free access again today - any time between 9am UK time until 9am Monday, 28 June.
                Happy hunting!
                Elaine

Comment

Working...
                X