Latin translation and a little handwriting deciphering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Latin translation and a little handwriting deciphering

This image is from the parish register of Kelvedon Hatch. Could a kind soul try and give me a translation? It is of interest to me as the entry contains a little more information than the normal name, date and event. It may contain a reference to William Byrd, the famous composer who at one time lived in the neighboring parish of Stondon Massey. I can recognise some words, but not all. Antonius Luther was a JP (Magistrate) and held the manor next door to Byrd (Bird).

Thank you in advance.

Phil
    historyhouse.co.uk
    Essex - family and local history.

Phil, if you don't get any immediate help on the forum, then have a look at our Translations page in the Reference Library where one of our members has offered to help with Latin translations. Just click on his name and send him a PM.
    Elaine

Comment

Here's a start to rendering in modern lettering. Not all these look like Latin words, so there must be some errors, even allowing for legal abbreviations.
      [ ] = haven't been able to discern.
      (?) = next word is doubtful.

Vicessimo sexto die [ ] miij sepultus fuit magister
      Antonius Luther senior qui moriens dedit pauperi [ ]
      (?)smius parochiae quadraginta solidos annuatim in ppetuo
      habendos ex cedito quoda (?)viginti et oda libraru
      sexdecem solidoru et oda Venarioru e terrae Mr
      Bird de Stondon oriente.

Christine
      Last edited by Christine in Herts; 21-06-10, 14:02.
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

The first bit looks like a date - or length of time after the burial of Antonius Luther. (My 'O'-level Latin is extremely rusty!)

I get an impression of forty shillings annually in perpetuity being given for the poor of the parish.
        Something about twenty shillings.
        Something about sixteen shillings.

And the reference to Mr Bird of Stondon.

There are some real Latin scholars on the Forum - worth asking for their help, I think!

And I'm a great fan of Byrd's music.
        Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I think Roger's the best at Latin; Christine's made a good start, and I can add a few extra bits.

Vicessimo sexto die ... sepultus fuit magister
          On the twenty-sixth day of .... was buried Master
          Antonius Luther senior qui moriens dedit pauperibus
          Anthony Luther senior who,[when he was] dying, gave to the poor
          huius? parochiae quadraginta solidos annuatim? in ppetuo
          of this parish forty shillings per annum in perpetuity
          habendos ex redito? quod (?)viginti et octo librarum?
          having ? twenty-eight pounds
          sexdecem solidorum? et octo denariorum? e ? Mr
          sixteen shillings and eight pence ? Mr
          Bird de Stondon oriente.
          Bird of East Stondon.
          Last edited by Mary from Italy; 21-06-10, 18:06.

Comment

Well done, Mary!

When someone with a more informed eye reads it, it falls into place much more. I got on well with my Latin, and use it passively in my singing, but never took it beyond 'O'-level.

I feel quite cross with myself for not recognising more than I did. I'd realised that solidorum would be shillings, and had started off with Denarioru, before changing D to V. I really should have spotted that librarum would be pounds - where else do we get LSD/£sd from?! doh!

And I'd forgotten about huius - I was looking for illis, and (rightly) couldn't make it fit.

Christine

Comment

Thank you so much Christine and Mary. This is now making sense as Luther is mentioned elsewhere in parish documents as having donated money to the poor of the parish. Perhaps Byrd was an executor of his will. I shall check with Emmison's work on Essex Wills.

Thank you again.
              Phil
              historyhouse.co.uk

Comment

Also worth noting that the writer has translated first names where he could, rendering "Anthony" as "Antonius". He doesn't give Byrd's fist name - perhaps he couldn't manage Guilielmus... or whatever it ought to be!

Christine

Comment

Originally posted by keldon View Post
                  Perhaps Byrd was an executor of his will.
                  Yes, I was wondering that - the word before "Mr" could be an abbreviation for executor.

Comment

Wonder if any of this is relevant...

http://seax.essexcc.gov.uk/\ViewCatalogue.asp?ID=113800
                    seems to offer access to an image of the docs in question

Christine

PS - found this, too, which may be of relevance:
                    Last edited by Christine in Herts; 22-06-10, 11:24.

Comment

That's an excellent find, Christine - so Anthony Luther and Byrd the musician were definitely connected.

Comment

I don't know, away for a few hours looking after my grandson, then I come back and see Christine has been very, very busy. Thank you for that. I knew that there was a connection between the two and this really helps.
                        There are more snippets of information in this parish register apart from the basic information. Fortunately they are in English this time. There's the Protestations from 1641 and 1642 which every male in the parish had to sign with their name or X against it, and an account of the charities of the church including the Luther donation.
                        Should keep me busy for some time.
                        Phil
                        historyhouse.co.uk

Comment

Keldon,

Sorry to arrive late on the scene. I agree with the version worked out by Christine and Mary but being pedantic I would make some slight additions and emendations:

The month is presumably "Maii", "J/Iunii" or "J/Iulii" (since the others won't fit the space) but I am not familiar with the letter forms.

I read the phrase "ex reditu quodam" = from a certain/some return i.e. rent

"e terris" = from the lands of Mr Bird.

Peter
                          Last edited by Peter Evans; 23-06-10, 07:08. Reason: senior moment

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Evans View Post
                            Sorry to arrive late on the scene.
                            Peter, don't worry. I appreciate your input.
                            Thank you
                            Phil
                            historyhouse.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                            X