Where did he go ????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where did he go ????

Hello I have been looking for a few years for Caleb Bailey born 1853 in Woodley Berkshire.. On the 1871 census he was listed as 19 and a carpenter living in Chelsea. Then he seems to have dropped the planet. I have now found his marriage to a widow Louisa Amelia Joy ages 41. By this time Caleb is 39 and still single, according to the marriage certificate.He was still a carpenter , his dad was a blacksmith. On the 1901 census Louisa and Caleb have had 1 son Benjn W Bailey aged 6 but again no Caleb. I can't find his death anywhere, or where he went for that 20 years, and now from 1895 when Benjn was born to the 1901 census he vanished again. Does anyone have any idea???
    Sheila
    I think, therefore I am. Descarte

what about this one in 1881?

Caleb Bailey born chaddleworth age 24

RG number:
    RG11Piece:
    1289 Folio:
    44Page:

Joyce

Comment

Hello Joy,Sorry it's the wrong Caleb

Sheila

Comment

In 1891 there's a JOHN Bailey, aged 41, occupation joiner, born Woodley, Berks living in Willesden with wife Louisa. Could this be your man living with Louisa and pretending to be married already, or perhaps your Caleb had a brother John and the wife's name is a coincidence?
        Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Oh blow, I've just answered my own question. John and Louisa Bailey are together on the 1901 census so she can't be the Louisa you found without her husband in 1901.

Comment

Just noticed an oddity. The Louisa Bailey on the 1901 census with 6 year old Benjn. W is shown as Single. How sure are you that she is the Louisa who married Caleb in 1892?
            In fact is this Louisa even Benjamin's mother? She is sister of the widowed head of household - Susannah Wills, and Benjn is listed as nephew of Susannah. In 1911 Benjamin Wills Bailey aged 16 is living with parents Benjamin and Mary Ann Bailey who had been married 24 years, so Louisa Bailey and Susannah Wills from 1901 were probably Benjamin Bailey seniors sisters.
            Last edited by JudithM; 21-06-10, 11:22. Reason: extra info

Comment

The wedding certificate say's Louisa was a widow and Caleb was a bachelor and they were married 27 June 1892 . Celeb's brother was John he was a joiner and his wife was also Louisa
              Sheila

Comment

Now trying to come at the problem from a different angle. You say Louisa Amelia Joy was a widow when she married Caleb. I found Louisa Amelia Madigan marrying John George JOY in Sep 1882 in St Saviour district. John George Joy then died in same district, aged 52, in 1887. Louisa Amelia MADIGAN was born 1847 in Shoreditch district so now off to search for Louisa Madigan, Joy, or Bailey, born Shoreditch in the 1891 and 1901 censuses.

Comment

That's weird Alice Edith Oxley Madigan along with Thomas Charles Oxley were named as witnesses
                  Sheila

Comment

In 1911 Caleb and Louisa were both in St George's Workhouse, Southwark. She was listed as married 19 years, no children.

Comment

Originally posted by Sheila from Down Under View Post
                      That's weird Alice Edith Oxley Madigan along with Thomas Charles Oxley were named as witnesses
                      Sheila
                      Not wierd, just confirmation I think that Caleb Bailey's wife's maiden name was Madigan and that she was definitely not the Louisa living with 6 year old Benjamin in 1901.

PS
                      Have you seen this death entry on GRO index
                      Q4 1918 Southwark 1d 256 Caleb Bailey aged 65
                      Last edited by JudithM; 21-06-10, 12:30.

Comment

Got him
                        1891 census 25 Sedan Street, St Mary Newington RG12/358; Fo 17; P 2
                        Charles Bailey aged 39 house carpenter born Reading, Berkshire
                        Louisa Bailey wife aged 39 born London City
                        Thomas C? JOY stepson aged 5 born Walworth, London

Comment

Than who do you think she is ????

Comment

Originally posted by Sheila from Down Under View Post
                            Than who do you think she is ????
                            My reading of the situation is that there were two people called Louisa Bailey

One was Louisa Amelia MADIGAN born 1847 who married John JOY and had a son Thomas, and later married Caleb BAILEY b 1853 d 1918(who in 1891 was entered in the census as Charles).

The other is Louisa BAILEY, unmarried, who in 1901 was living with her widowed sister Susannah WILLS (nee BAILEY) and her nephew Benjamin BAILEY. This family was not related to Caleb.
                            Last edited by JudithM; 21-06-10, 12:57. Reason: spelling

Comment

Thanks it is past 11pm so I must away to bed . It may sound better in the morning, because at the moment I can't make head or tail of it all.

nite nite
                              Sheila

Comment

Good Morning Judith, It is weird my Greatgrandmother Frances Amelia Fuller married a John Edward Joy in Wandsworth in 1909. John had a son by his first wife also named John Edward Joy born in Southwark in 1905. -- I have not as yet found a male Bailey that has married a Susannah Wills.--- Caleb Bailey and Louisa Amelia Joy were married in St John's Walworth on 27 June 1892, as I have said the wedding certificate states that he was a 39 year old and a bachelor and she was 41 and a Widow . I really will have to go and think about this as I do not have a Charles Bailey at all in my tree, and I have most of the GRO certificates, for the male side of the family
                                Regards
                                Sheila

Comment

Hi Judith. well I have spent all day on this and this is how i think it goes.
                                  Louisa Amelia Oxley was born 1851 in the City of London ----- she married George Madigan born 1855 in 1898 ,and he died in 1897
                                  she then married John George Joy born 1835 they married in 1882 and John died 1887
                                  then she married My Caleb in 1892
                                  As it has been said they were both in the St Georges Workhouse Southwark in the 1911 census Caleb died in 1918 aged 65 in Southwark , Louisa died in 1924 age 90 in Southwark,and I have now proved it to myself. So she had 3 husbands
                                  I think that is right
                                  Thanks again
                                  Sheila

Comment

Hi Sheila - I think there's a typo. You have George Madigan dying a year before he got married!
                                    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Oooop's thank you Uncle John, she only had him for about 1 year They were married 1878 and he died 1879 I got the years wrong anyway They were married St John the Evangelist Walworth
                                      Sheila

Comment

Benjamin Bailey

Benjamin Wills Bailey is my grandfather. His father was Benjamin Qualiotti Bailey and I think his grandfather was John Qualiotti from Italy.
                                        Benjamin married Bessy May Randall in 1919 in Lewisham. During the 1st WW he was in France and was an ambulance driver for some of that time.
                                        I am still filling in a lot of gaps in his early years. There is some connection between the Wills family and the Bailey family that I have not yet made.
                                        Susannah Wills and Louisa Bailey I think were the two aunts who left him property in their wills.
                                        Let me know what connection you have to Benjamin, maybe we can fill in these gaps together.
                                        Ben came to Australia in his sixties. He died aged 70 years.

Regards Pauline
                                        Last edited by blondie1; 03-08-10, 07:38.

Comment

Working...
                                        X