Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Master Mariners

Hello,

My Gardiner family is such a muddle! My Gardiner family is Francis Gardiner/Gardner/Gardener born Knottingley circa 1824. He married Sarah Dyson in Pontefract 1846 (I have cert) she died in Hull 1848. Francis then marries Mary Johnson in Hull in 1850. Francis is son of Francis Gardiner - Mariner. His own occupation is also Mariner. Mary's father is George Tindal Johnson Deceased Grocer on the marriage cert.
    I then found at one point 18 children. I had several birth certs for some of the children but thought there must be a mistake somewhere when I received my grandfather birth cert in 1866 then what I thought was his brother Joseph in 1867. My grandfathr was born on 18 sept 1866 in Hull and Joseph born in Knottingley on 21 Jan 1867. I then knew I had two familes. I found a marriage for a Francis Gardiner and Mary Johnson in 1852. Both these people were born in Knottingley. Both Francis and Mary's being of similar age, both Francis being Mariners.
    I have had trouble trying to separate these familes and both travelled between Hull and Knottingley. Sometimes both living at the same address in Hull.
    On my side the Hull family I find Mary living with 6 children on the 1861 census. She states one child born in USA in 1858. Again it shows this child born in New York on the 1871 census. There is an age gap of 10 years between Francis and Mary on my family and only 2 years on the Knottingley family. Does anyone know how I can separate the children. Even getting birth and death certs does not help as it shows mother as Mary Johnson.
    Any help appreciated.

Just to clarify - Mariner doesn't necessarily mean Master Mariner. He could be an ordinary seaman. It usually means they were in the merchant marine, not the Royal Navy.
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Some websites that may be of help in your search

Edna

Comment

Hello and welcome to the forum.

I don't know the answer to your problem but I also have mariners from Knottingley. In case you haven't discovered this, there is a Knottingley Family History Database available as a subscription site. I haven't joined myself yet (concentrating on other family lines at the moment) but you might find it useful. If you look in the surnames section, there are some Gardiners and Gardners listed.

Jackie

Comment

Hello Jackie,

Thank you for your reply. I will try this website. I am at the moment looking into Lloyds Captains Registers 1869 but this means travelling to London as its held at the Guildhall Library.
          Thanks once again.
          Linda

Comment

Hello Linda,

you could have a look in our Reference Library, we have a section on Mariners click the link below

Julie
            They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Hello Julie

Thank you for your reply. I will look at this tomorrow as I have the grandchildren coming shortly.

Comment

Originally posted by adnil48 View Post
                I am at the moment looking into Lloyds Captains Registers 1869 but this means travelling to London as its held at the Guildhall Library.
                Some parts of the index to Lloyds Captains Registers have been put online. I'm pretty certain the reference is in the FTF reference library.
                Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Hello Everyone,

Thank you all for your help. I have a lot to go on now.
                  Thanks once again.
                  Linda

Comment

Working...
                  X