Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missing Grandmother!

Hello,

I am new to this forum so please bear with me.
    I am looking for my grandmother Jane Ann Elizabeth Robinson on the 1881 census. She was born in Aldershot Barracks, Hants on 15. Nov 1868 (I have birth cert) Her father was Gervase/Jervis Robinson Solidier 5th Dragoon Guards. Her mother Mary Loughead (born in Ireland). I can find them in Leeds on the 1871 census then again in 1891 census with my grandfather who she married in Hull, Yorkshire 1887. Gervase/Jervis Robinson left the army in 1872 and from then on he vanishes along with his wife.
    I do not know why or how my grandmother came to be in Hull to marry my grandfather. On the marriage certificate (I have a copy) she was living with James Whittaker and his wife at 135 Chiltern Street Hull, James was a witness to the marriage. We have no Whittakers in our family so do not know why she was with this family.
    Any help suggestions greatly appreciated.

Hallo and welcome to the Forum!

If her parents are both missing from 1881 too, that implies they were all elsewhere - probably abroad. You could check to see where the 5th Dragoon Guards were at that time.

As for why she was living with the Whittakers, it won't tell you she was living with them on the marriage cert. It will give that as her address at the time of her marriage. She might have been there long term or just a short while. Some people used addresses to have the banns called, but they didn't actually live there at all! Alternatively she might have been lodging with them and working elsewhere, or working for them as a domestic servant which is what millions of women did at that time. As James Whittaker was a witness he may have been a family friend or connection - perhaps he gave her away if her father was based abroad?

Does her marriage cert give her occupation?
    Last edited by Little Nell; 20-06-10, 12:17.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

My Great Grandfather was in the 2nd Dragoon Guards, and I couldn't find him in 1881. I later found out he was serving in Ireland, and that is where he married my Irish Great Grandmother.

Maybe that is where you will find your ancestor.
      Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Hello Little Nell,

Thank you for your prompt reply.

Gervase/Jervis left the Army in 1872. He left in York and thats the last information I have of him. On my grandmothers marriage certificate she has no occupation but her father is deceased!.
        I contacted Hull Archives and they say James Whittaker lived at 135 Chiltern Stree with his wife on the 1887 Electoral Roll. He was there with his wife on the 1888 Electoral Roll. Gervase/Jervis married Mary in Ireland in 1865. They married in Drumgoon County Cavan. Mary was born in Coothill, Ireland in circa 1843. I have a copy of the marriage cert. They had a son born in Ireland - Jervis Frederick Robinson born 1867, I have a copy of this birth cert. Jervis died in Aldershott in 1869 I also have a copy of this death cert.
        I would have thought in the Victorian times they would have had more children other than the two I have found. Gervase left the Army at his own request in 1872 in York. I do not know why. Gervase was born in Hook, Yorkshire in circa 1837. He is on the 1851 census living in Hull but his ocupation is App? I thought this might mean Apprentice but of what? He is in the Army by 1858 based in Manchester.
        I thought maybe James Whittaker might have been a friend from the army days but I have checked the records I have with Gervase and cannot find any James Whittakers. James Whittaker was born in Hull.
        My grandmother Jane Ann Elizabeth married my grandfather James Robert Gardiner in 1887 in Hull. She never worked and died in Hull in 1947. My two sisters both knew her well and said she never once mentioned she had lived anywhere other that Hull. It was only when they were celebrating their Golding Wedding, the Hull Daily Mail newspaper did an article on them and she tells them she was born in Aldershott Barracks.
        Anyway enough of my ramblings, hope you can understand this.
        Regards Adnil48

Comment

Not much help but.....

Perhaps he re-enlisted, got a job as a civilian with the army overseas or moved to Ireland.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Hello JBee,

Did'nt think of the re-enlisted, food for thought as it does say on the marriage cert deceased soldier!
            Will have to look into that.
            Thanks for help.

Comment

If she never worked and her father was dead someone must have been supporting her financially. It's my experience that most women unless they were from wealthy families, worked until and usually after they were married, though their occupations weren't generally put on marriage certs and sometimes not on censuses either.
              ~ with love from Little Nell~
              Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Working...
              X