Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nan in different places on 1901 census ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nan in different places on 1901 census ?

I have my Nan, On two different places in 1901.
    One as a domestic servant, and the othere as a wood chopper. (whatever that is ?)
    Would it be just a case that she changed jobs and happend to be in both places when the person from the census came calling fro that particular area ?
    Regards......John

How far apart are these two jobs John?

Must have been a strong lady to have been a wood chopper! ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Velma Dinkley View Post
      How far apart are these two jobs John?

Must have been a strong lady to have been a wood chopper! ;)
      One in St Pancras London and the other in Limehouse,London (were she was from)
      She was only 15 at the time.
      I have also found here in service in 1911.
      Thanks John

Comment

It isn't unheard of for people to be named twice on a census... so perhaps she did leave her domestic servant job around the time it was taken and it was an oversight of the employer to still include her...

Comment

I have a rellie who appears on 3 census records for one year in each she was visiting one of her kids, I couldn't believe it at first, am trying to think which one it was so I can show you.

Comment

Two explanations:

Etiher these two entries are two different people who share the same name, age and birthplace OR she was enumerated twice although the fact she has two different occupations would lead me to believe they are two different girls.

I do have instances of the same person enumerated twice - but I am certain its the same person as in the first case in 1841, its my gt x 3 grandmother who is enumerated with her two eldest children both with her husband and with her parents, in Gloucestershire villages a few miles apart. I'm guessing she was visiting her parents but her husband gave information about who normally resided with him to the enumerator from their home.

In the second case its my gt x 2 grandfather in 1871, and I am certain its him because his birthplace is a tiny village. He's enumerated with his mother, wife and sons in the village, but also on a fishing vessel near Yarmouth with his elder brother.

In censuses, the person filling in the form had to record everyone who was staying in the house on census night, so theoretically your Nan could only have slept in one place!

So does your Nan have an unusual name or tiny birthplace?
            Last edited by Little Nell; 20-06-10, 11:19.
            ~ with love from Little Nell~
            Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

I agree with Nell. I have several enumerated at home and either at work or at another relatives. Never had two different palces of employment though. It seems fairly unlikely.

Anne

Comment

Thanks everyone....Nan's name Jane Vincent Birthplace Limehouse 1/2/1886.
                Regards John

Comment

The one in St. Pancras gives her birthplace as "London, Middlesex" which could mean a variety of places but definitely NOT Limehouse.

I can't find a Jane Vincent in 1901 in Limehouse though there is one who gives her birthplace as Canning Town.

1891 census has two Jane Vincents both born abt 1886,
                  one born and living in Limehouse with parents George F. and Jane
                  RG12; Piece: 296; Folio 30; Page 1;
                  and one born and living in St. Pancras with parents James and Selina,
                  RG12; Piece: 135; Folio 128; Page 74

So I think your mystery is solved!
                  Last edited by Little Nell; 20-06-10, 14:40.
                  ~ with love from Little Nell~
                  Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Sorry Nell, Your correct of course.
                    When anyone ask's were Nan was born I automatically say Limehouse....apologies.

Name:Jane VincentYear of Registration:1886Quarter of Registration:Jan-Feb-MarDistrict:Stepney (To 1921)County:London, MiddlesexVolume:1cPage:473 (click to see others on page)

Comment

Originally posted by Little Nell View Post
                      The one in St. Pancras gives her birthplace as "London, Middlesex" which could mean a variety of places but definitely NOT Limehouse.

I can't find a Jane Vincent in 1901 in Limehouse though there is one who gives her birthplace as Canning Town.

1891 census has two Jane Vincents both born abt 1886,
                      one born and living in Limehouse with parents George F. and Jane
                      RG12; Piece: 296; Folio 30; Page 1;
                      and one born and living in St. Pancras with parents James and Selina,
                      RG12; Piece: 135; Folio 128; Page 74

So I think your mystery is solved!
                      Thanks Nell, As you say Mystery solved !

Comment

Working...
                      X