Marriage in Germany

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marriage in Germany

I have just found a marriage in Germany which took place at the British Consulate. The
    groom was born in England as was his mother, but father was of German origin, marrying in the UK in 1866. The family returned to Germany c1874. Why would he have married atThe British Consulate.?

Since the family left I have searched all possible records here but nothing shows up.

dreen
    Last edited by dreen22; 19-06-10, 17:07. Reason: grammatical error

Do you know if the marriage actually took place at the British Consulate - or is it just recorded in the GRO Consular marriages?
    Elaine

Comment

No, there is nothing to suggest that it took place anywhere other than the British Consulate. The groom was born in England.

dreen

Comment

Have you got enough information to apply to the GRO for the marriage certificate? That should provide a bit more information.I haven't seen an overseas marriage certificate, only a death.
        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

I did wonder whether the GRO would hold copies of such Certificates and did quickly check the website the other
          day but couldn't find the relevant information on that occasion. Yes, I have all the details required to apply.

dreen

Comment

Can I ask how you know the marriage took place at the British Consulate?

If you have the details from the Overseas BMD index, then you can use the information to order direct from the GRO, selecting Overseas Certificate on the first page, where you normally tick the type of certificate you require.
            Elaine

Comment

Not wishing to become a bore, could I please update this little problem.
              I decided to apply, and checked with GRO first. ok they said. A week later they came back saying there was no trace of the entry. They suggested I contacted the embassy for the certificate,s whereabouts. I duly did so and they came back with the reply that I must apply to Kew, isn't that the same as the GRO? Anyway, yet again following instructions I contacted Kew but am still awaiting their reply.

If I have "no joy" with Kew anyone know where I go from here. The fact that the event took place in Germany makes me think there should be a record there but I have no idea how to go about that.

Perplexed
              dreen22

Comment

Can you give us some details of who and when so that someone can recheck the overseas BMD index for you.
                Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by dreen22 View Post
                  I duly did so and they came back with the reply that I must apply to Kew, isn't that the same as the GRO? Anyway, yet again following instructions I contacted Kew but am still awaiting their reply.
                  No they are not the same thing. The GRO is at Southport and the National Archives are at Kew.
                  Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

"I decided to apply, and checked with GRO first. ok they said. A week later they came back saying there was no trace of the entry."

The GRO eventually told me there was "no trace" of an outstanding certificate I was waiting for - on my 3 previous phone calls they assured me, each time, that the cert had already been despatched and blamed its non arrival on Royal Mail.
                    They now say they are giving me a refund.

There seems to be a bit of a muddle there at the moment.

Jay
                    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

I too, sent of for 2 overseas certs with all the info they asked for and was to be told 2 wks later, they didn't have them and had included my cheques back in full......i got the letter but, no cheque. I emailed them - i had NO reply and, the cheque was sent a few days later !!....no reply to my email whatsoever.

Don't know whats going on there but, they need address these problems....
                      Jacky

Comment

I have had a death cert from GRO for someone who died in Aix la Chapelle which was in the consular index and had no probs at all - this was going back a bit though and before the deluge of applications to beat the price rise!
                        I wonder if the problems are the start of things to come with all the 'cuts'??
                        Margaret

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                          Can you give us some details of who and when so that someone can recheck the overseas BMD index for you.
                          The people involved are:

Gesina Klofkorn m Albert Dietrich January 1898 @ British Consulate Bremen.

Many thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle John View Post
                            No they are not the same thing. The GRO is at Southport and the National Archives are at Kew.
                            Yes, I realise they are two separate places but it is my understanding, going on the procedure tha was in place at Myddleton Street, that an application at Kew would be sent to Southport for processing.
                            dreen22

Comment

Originally posted by margaretmarch View Post
                              I have had a death cert from GRO for someone who died in Aix la Chapelle which was in the consular index and had no probs at all - this was going back a bit though and before the deluge of applications to beat the price rise!
                              I wonder if the problems are the start of things to come with all the 'cuts'??
                              Margaret
                              I wouldn,t have thought "cuts" should make any difference. They either have it or they do not. That said I don,t know if their procedure is different for foreign certs. but at the time I was given a despatch date 3 weeks ahead. However, they dealt with it, APPARENTLY, sooner than that.
                              dreen

Comment

Hi Jacky.
                                That's interesting. Did the details you provided come from an official source or just your research?
                                dreen

Comment

I've checked the overseas index and cannot see anything - I was hoping they would appear in the Consular index!

When you say you applied to the embassy and they directed you to Kew, did you apply to the Embassy in Germany, or the German Embassy in UK?
                                  I think you need to apply for the certificate from Germany rather than here - there is an address of the Berlin Register Office on our German page in the Reference Library which may be of use.
                                  Elaine

Comment

Not sure whether this is where the OP has the information from - but the marriage is recorded on the Family Search Pilot Site - Germany Marriages - 1558 - 1929

Groom's Name: Albert Charles John Oscar Dietrich
                                    Groom's Birth Date:
                                    Groom's Birthplace:
                                    Groom's Age:
                                    Bride's Name: Gesina Klofkorn
                                    Bride's Birth Date:
                                    Bride's Birthplace:
                                    Bride's Age:
                                    Marriage Date: 25 Jan 1898
                                    Marriage Place: British Consulate At Bremen, Bremen, Germany
                                    Groom's Father's Name: Oscar Dietrich
                                    Groom's Mother's Name: Eliza Jane Lee
                                    Bride's Father's Name: Hermanus Hindericus Lubertus Klöfkorn
                                    Bride's Mother's Name: Gesina Margarethe Wippermann
                                    Groom's Race:
                                    Groom's Marital Status:
                                    Groom's Previous Wife's Name:
                                    Bride's Race:
                                    Bride's Marital Status: Single
                                    Bride's Previous Husband's Name:
                                    Indexing Project (Batch) Number: M00734-9
                                    System Origin: Germany-EASy
                                    Source Film Number: 1494348
                                    Reference Number: FO 585/2 p 6
                                    Collection: Germany Marriages, 1558-1929

Possibly if they were both resident in Germany they may not have chosen to also register it through the Consular Marriages system - and been happy to just have the official German record - though the original film source from the LDS suggests they copied it in England

Cheers
                                    Sue
                                    Last edited by SueNSW; 07-07-10, 21:49.

Comment

Originally posted by SueNSW View Post
                                      Not sure whether this is where the OP has the information from - but the marriage is recorded on the Family Search Pilot Site - Germany Marriages - 1558 - 1929

Groom's Name: Albert Charles John Oscar Dietrich
                                      Groom's Birth Date:
                                      Groom's Birthplace:
                                      Groom's Age:
                                      Bride's Name: Gesina Klofkorn
                                      Bride's Birth Date:
                                      Bride's Birthplace:
                                      Bride's Age:
                                      Marriage Date: 25 Jan 1898
                                      Marriage Place: British Consulate At Bremen, Bremen, Germany
                                      Groom's Father's Name: Oscar Dietrich
                                      Groom's Mother's Name: Eliza Jane Lee
                                      Bride's Father's Name: Hermanus Hindericus Lubertus Klöfkorn
                                      Bride's Mother's Name: Gesina Margarethe Wippermann
                                      Groom's Race:
                                      Groom's Marital Status:
                                      Groom's Previous Wife's Name:
                                      Bride's Race:
                                      Bride's Marital Status: Single
                                      Bride's Previous Husband's Name:
                                      Indexing Project (Batch) Number: M00734-9
                                      System Origin: Germany-EASy
                                      Source Film Number: 1494348
                                      Reference Number: FO 585/2 p 6
                                      Collection: Germany Marriages, 1558-1929

Possibly if they were both resident in Germany they may not have chosen to also register it through the Consular Marriages system - and been happy to just have the official German record - though the original film source from the LDS suggests they copied it in England

Cheers
                                      Sue
                                      Surely if the marriage really did take place at the British Consulate it would automatically be registered through the consular marriage system.
                                      Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Originally posted by JudithM View Post
                                        Surely if the marriage really did take place at the British Consulate it would automatically be registered through the consular marriage system.
                                        Perhaps someone else would like to check the overseas BMD index in case I have missed it!
                                        Elaine

Comment

Working...
                                        X