Count Bathiani

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Count Bathiani

Who was this man and why would my grandma say they are related? Her mum was called Hilda Kellaway and she was born on the Isle of Wight - her father was a mariner as was his father (a master mariner). Hildas dad got married in Scarborough to Charlotte Newsome.

I have googled this man and indeed he did exist - but how / why would she know him - we are certainly not royalty!!

Could it be possible that as mariners they sailed his boats / yachts / ships?

How could I go about proving a connection - to be honest I don't think there is one (although my grandmas birth certificate does say father unknown!)

Do you think it is worth pursuing or could it just be a pipe dream on her part?

It's always very difficult to try to link someone to a family unless they are found through the usual process of working backwards and possibly sideways. It could be someone from the Kellaway family married into this Count's family. Unless you find them all and see what happened to them all it will be very difficult.
    Margaret

Comment

you should have a copy of your g'mas's cert, if you dont, get it, you dont wanna start a tree thats wrong!

Comment

There's a lot on the Kellaways on this site. Shows Charlotte married to Arthur. If you haven't seen it already, it might be useful?

http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...&ct=clnk&gl=uk

Last edited by Trina; 23-06-10, 13:54. Reason: Second site is not a "cache"

Comment

Hi
          Yes I have my grandmas certificate - Bridie, her mum Hilda, her parents Charlotte and Arthur, his parents, his grandparents etc etc and there is no obvious link. Could just be a family tale - but the name Count Bathiani seems unreal - I mean if you were making a name up - would that be the first choice? The only (tenuous) link I can think of is the sailing and "perhaps" his boats / yachts were moored in the Isle of Wight - and that is how they met or that either Arthur or his father Charles who were master mariners served with him / for him? I don't know !

Comment

She may have just come across his name and thought it was exotic. Or she may have misheard or misinterpreted something she heard someone else saying. That's often how family stories start.
            ~ with love from Little Nell~
            Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

could be a while back, he was hungarian nobility, might be a few hundred years back, or maybe she knew something you dont about the family, like illegitimacy or paternity somewhere?

Comment

Googling shows he was involved in Military campaigns, so it isn't hard to see a possible connection to mariners there. He would have needed transport as well as crew and such like. Maybe you should look at his life in more depth and establish where he was fighting and why. It could give you more clues to his heritage and movements. There seem to be a lot of references on Google to plough through! I suppose there is the possibility that there has been more than one Count of this name. Does this sort of title get passed on in the way that Lords do in this country?

Comment

Working...
                X