Another Liverpool Cohen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Liverpool Cohen

An Ann Norah Carroll, born in Ireland in 1847, turned up at her niece's home in Liverpool in 1891 bearing the name Norah Cohen. There was a marriage registered in Liverpool, where the Carrolls moved, between Norah Carroll and Morris Cohen in Oct-Nov-Dec of 1865, but I cannot find any census records of the two of them living together. This Morris Cohen may appear in the 1861 census as Morris Cowen in Manchester from Poland/Prussia. Ann Norah Carroll's sister Mary A Carroll, born in Ireland in 1839, married Gabriel Franklin (born Gabriel Frank, according to family history) in Liverpool in 1859. Both Frank/Franklin and Cowen/Cohen were Jewish, and the family legend is that, to their family's horror, two Catholic Carroll sisters married Jewish husbands. Does anyone have any information about Morris (Maurice, Morrice) Cohen marrying in Liverpool, and where they lived? Much appreciated. I can provide a great deal of information about the Carrolls.

An Ann Norah Carroll, born in Ireland in 1847, turned up at her niece's home in Liverpool in 1891 bearing the name Norah Cohen. There was a marriage registered in Liverpool, where the Carrolls moved, between Norah Carroll and Morris Cohen in Oct-Nov-Dec of 1865, but I cannot find any census records of the two of them living together. This Morris Cohen may appear in the 1861 census as Morris Cowen in Manchester from Poland/Prussia. Ann Norah Carroll's sister Mary A Carroll, born in Ireland in 1839, married Gabriel Franklin (born Gabriel Frank, according to family history) in Liverpool in 1859. Both Frank/Franklin and Cowen/Cohen were Jewish, and the family legend is that, to their family's horror, two Catholic Carroll sisters married Jewish husbands. Does anyone have any information about Morris (Maurice, Morrice) Cohen marrying in Liverpool, and where they lived? Much appreciated. I can provide a great deal of information about the Carrolls.
    Hi beauhanks - can I suggest that you put this as an independent post...there is lots of info on Cohen's in Wallabys's thread which is in the Adoption Forum - I'll let her know that you're here! Funnily enough, one of my posts incorporated a Catholic Priest who married..and one of his sons married a Jewish girl...

Comment

Hello Beau, I see this is your first post, if you're new to FTF, then a very warm welcome. I have 3, perhaps 4, separate Cohen families within my Friedman/Freedman/Freeman family tree. I also have a Morris Cohen who was a witness to my grandfather's wedding to his first wife in Leeds, before my grandfather later moved & settled in Liverpool. Below is all the info I have on this Morris Cohen, who was born about 1864 & from Germany.

Morris Cohen was the 2nd Witness at Louis Friedman (my grandfather) to his 1st wife, Rachel Simon's wedding.
      He was the only person who was able to sign his name on MC.

Morris Cohen's Marriage Cert tells us that he married Becca Bromberg on 27th Nov 1885.
      Morris & Becca were both then 21 years old. *Morris was a tailor.
      Their address was then NÂș 12, Templar Street, Leeds.
      Morris Cohen's father was Harris Cohen also a tailor.
      Becca's father was Aaron Bromberg a Pedlar & Becca also signed her name on their MC.
      The witnesses at their wedding were S. Davidson & P. Israel.

Morris Cohen's signature matches that of Morris Cohen who signed the MC of Louis & Rachel.

On the 1891 Leeds Census, Morris Cohen was living at NÂș 50, Copenhagen Street, Leeds.
      Louis gave his address as NÂș 52, Copenhagen Street, Leeds when he married Rachel. (Next door to the Cohen's)

1891 Leeds Census:-
      At - 50, Copenhagen St
      Morris Cohen 28 Tailor *- from GERMANY
      Rebecca Cohen 26 - from GERMANY
      Nellie Rlum/Blum 18 lodger Buttonhole Hand - Hungary
      Philip Cohen son aged 5 *- born Leeds
      Hyman Cohen son aged 3 - born *Leeds
      Israel Cohen son aged 1 - born Leeds

1901 Leeds census 32, Regent St, Leeds
      Morris Cohen 37 Clothes Merchent now - born RUSSIA (foreign Subject)
      Rebecca Cohen wife 36 - born RUSSIA
      Philip son 14 drapers hawker Leeds
      Hyman son 12 Leeds
      Israel son 11 Leeds
      Pinkie son 9 Leeds
      Polly daughter 7 Leeds
      Celia daughter 5 Leeds
      Harris son 3 Leeds

On the 1911 Leeds census.
      Morris Cohen & Morris Rosenberg lived on Crimbles Street.
      Morris Cohen lived at 31a, Crimbles St
      Morris Rosenberg lived at; 12, Crimbles St.

I also have two of my father's brothers married to Cohen's.

Hyman/Chaim/Harry Friedman/Freeman married Sarah Cohen
      Daniel/Dal/Darley/Gedaliah/Dave Friedman/Freedman/Freeman married Annie Cohen

Finally, I know very little about my grandmother, who was Rebecca Cohen (nee Cohen & formerly Cohen) Rebecca was my grandfather's 2nd wife & was born about 1875 in Russia. No marriage records or MA records have been found for this 2nd marriage. The info we know of Rebecca is from the birth certs of two of the children she had to my grandfather. Teri/Edward/Teddy Friedman/Freedman/Freeman born 1905 Liverpool & my father Harry/Henry Freedman/Freeman born 1907 Liverpool. There might also have been another son Jacob born to this 2nd marriage, however, we only know for sure that Jacob died in Dec 1907, but conflicting info on his age at death & no birth records found for him, leaves us scratching our heads.

Also, on the 1911 census, the family (now known as Freedman) are living at 49, Pleasant St, Liverpool & another son Abraham, has appeared who was not on any previous census & he was not one of the six children my grandfather already had to his 1st wife Rachel nee Simon. Abraham is 13 on the 1911 Liverpool census, so born about 1898 in Russia. We think he was Rebecca's son to her 1st marriage to an unknown Cohen, so my grandfather's stepson, not his son as stated on the 1911 census. On the 1911, Rebecca was in the Royal Infirmary & 2 weeks after the census, she died aged 36 & unfortunately, this is all we know of her.

If any of these Cohen's ring any bells for you, or if you need more info on Annie & Sarah Cohen who married my father's brothers, Hyman & Dal, just let me know.

Wallaby
      We should never forget them,
      Because we would not be here today, but for them.
      We should be proud, reflect, respect and always remember them.
      Because we all have them

Them
 were our Ancestors.

Comment

Hi beauhanks - this looks like the marriage for Gabriel and Mary - http://www.lancashirebmd.org.uk/
        CARROLL Mary FRANKS Gabriel Liverpool, St. Simon Liverpool 2129LP/2/15 - 1859
        and this is her sister in 1865
        Surname Forename(s) Surname Forename(s) Church / Register Office Registers At Reference
        CARROLL Norah COHEN Morris Liverpool, St. Thomas Liverpool 2131LP/2/312
        You can apply for their marriage certs through the GRO....and they will give you further info, addresses, names of fathers etc
        Marriages Dec 1865
        Carroll Norah Liverpool 8b 497
        Cohen Morris Liverpool 8b 497
        Marriages Dec 1859
        Carroll Mary Liverpool 8b 407a
        Franks Gabriel Liverpool 8b 407a
        Ancestry® helps you understand your genealogy. A family tree takes you back generations—the world's largest collection of online family history records makes it easy to trace your lineage.

Comment

Hi beauhanks, welcome to Family Tree Forum.
          As Naomi suggested, I think it might be better to start a new thread for your Cohen family so I've moved your original post and the replies to here.
          Hopefully some of our members will be able to help you.
          Elaine

Comment

I found the marriage for Norah & Morris, (same as Naomi found) but can't find them on any census, did they go back to Ireland ?

W
            We should never forget them,
            Because we would not be here today, but for them.
            We should be proud, reflect, respect and always remember them.
            Because we all have them

Them
 were our Ancestors.

Comment

Wonder if this is Gabriel? - although William would have been anglicised from something else if it is him -
              Deaths Sep 1888
              FRANKS Gabriel William 42 Liverpool 8b 67 and if this is Mary - although the age is out a bit..
              Deaths Mar 1900
              Franks Mary Ann 49 Liverpool 8b 70 and there is also -
              Deaths Jun 1927
              Franks Mary 75 Liverpool 8b 225
              and if this is Norah -
              Deaths Mar 1899
              Cohen Norah 43 Liverpool 8b 56
              Again, you can order these certs from the GRO...
              there is a Mary Ann Franks in Haslingden in 1911 aged 71...
              Last edited by naomiatt; 18-06-10, 00:00.

Comment

Hiya everyone...on www.lan-opc.org.uk/Search/indexp/html
                5th December 1865 at St Thomas ,Liverpool
                MORRIS COHEN Full ... Artist , Bachelor, of Liverpool
                NORAH CARROLL 19yrs Spinster of Liverpool
                Grooms father Israel Cohen a Watchmaker
                Brides father Patrick Carroll a Hawker
                Witnesses Ann Sheil Walter Wheller
                married byThomas L Pain M.A.
                Sorry but Mary Carroll marriage is not on there
                allan
                Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
                oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
                adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
                merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
                coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Comment

That's good info Allan - there is an Israel Cohen in here, but the location is Birmingham (that's if he was alive when his sons married)

Comment

Do we now need to look for Israel Cohen with a son Morris Cohen in the 1861 census ?....we may then get the whole family....allan
                    Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
                    oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
                    adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
                    merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
                    coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Comment

Hi beauhanks - I've been away, so catching up - how have you progessed?

Comment

Working...
                      X