Scottish Census 1881

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scottish Census 1881

Is it possible to find out who was living at an address in the scottish 1881 census?

Helen Calder was in her home town of Olrig for the census in 1881. In May 1881 she married William Baillie in Glasgow, where her address is stated as 11 Wemyss Place, Glasgow. It is also where she married. I have no other instance of her being in Glasgow. I can't find Wemyss place in modern Glasgow, and was wondering who lived there in the census - was she staying with relatives?

Any ideas on how I can find out?

Thanks

Linda
    Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

The 1881 census on Ancestry gives a search by address option.
    I have had a look for 11 Wemyss Place but can find other numbers but not 11- I will have another look.
    There is also a site that gives the names of Glasgow streets and their new names. I will try to find it for you and get back to you.
    herky
    Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Not sure if this is any help.
      I am assuming when you speak of Olrig you mean the parish of Olrig in Caithness????
      The 1871 census has a some Caithness folk in Wemyys St - numbver 3 - by the name of Wallace and Craig.
      Off to do more digging.
      herky
      Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Wemyss Place became Wemyss St C2 - but I don't have a dated for the change over.
        Not a lot of help really.
        herky

Comment

Thanks Herky, yes she came from Olrig in Caithness, and spent most of her life there, just this dash down to Glasgow to get married. There aren't any Wallace or Craig in the family as far as I know, but I haven't tracked all the marriages of siblings - and there were a lot!

Linda
          Linda

Comment

Hi Linda
            I've looked on my 1881 discs and there are no odd nos for Wemyss Place only 2-14. Other streets in the same enumeration district are Cambridge St & Russell St. I know she married in Glasgow but does the cert say Weymss Place, Glasgow because I have found a Wemyss Place in Edinburgh.
            Moggie
            Last edited by maudarby; 17-06-10, 14:47.

Comment

Bingo
              I've found it spelt WEYMSS. Put 11 Weymss Place in the address search and you will find 20 households at that address. Hopefully you may recognise one of the families.
              Moggie

Comment

Well done Maggie - i tried lots of different spellings as it is a name that could easily written in error - but you got it.

Yes there is a Caithness lady at no. 11 - Euphemia Craig b c 1842. in Dunnet, as head and a plasterer's wife
                Good luck Linda and I hope you find a connection.
                herky

Comment

Bingo - thank you so much both of you - Euphemia Craig is the Aunt of Ellen Calder, her mothers sister who married an Alexander Craig, and then I lost track of her. Thank you for helping me tie up a loose thread.

Linda
                  Linda

Comment

Working...
                  X