hyphenated surnames

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hyphenated surnames

Hi...could someone please explain how I research hyphenated surname Smith-Wilson on freebmd and other bmd sites please.....thanks....allan
    Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
    oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
    adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
    merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
    coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Hi Allan - I just tried it out on FreeBMD - enter Smith-Wilson in the surname search...e.g
    Births Mar 1888
    SMITH-WILSON Percy Thomas Shoreditch 1c 123
    I think you'll also find them under Smith though, and the Wilson will show next to it...do you have any first names??

Comment

Thanks Naomiatt.......I`ll see how I get on...if I get stuck I`ll let you know....I usually do ..lol....allan
      Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire

Comment

Hi again - just realised part of what I said didn't make sense! (what's new!)...I meant some might show only as Smith...but the Christian names might show the Wilson part...e.g Susan Wilson could show with a surname of Smith..now I've totally confused you! ;)

Comment

you could try wilson*smith or wilson?smith in most search boxes (ancestry use exact search ticked)
          Mike in Droitwich

My family tree is on
          http://mjfisher.tribalpages.com

Comment

thanks Mike......allan

Comment

I have a hyphenated surname and the normal - and the polite - way to deal with it is to treat the whole thing as just one name, spelled with a dash in the middle. Unfortunately, other people can't get to grips with this and the results you get when searching depend on the knowledge/ignorance of the person who did the inputting. I find my name listed as just the first half of the name, or just the second half, or the whole thing run together without the hyphen. Then there are the misspellings because people panic when they think they've got to deal with such a complicated thing so they stop listening when you spell it out to them... I could go on and on... So there's no easy answer to your question. Sorry.
              Looking for Bysh, Potter, Littleton, Parke, Franks, Sullivan, Gosden, Carroll, Hurst, Churcher, Covell, Elverson, Giles, Hawkins, Witherden...

Comment

Thankyou Sal....you have explained exactly the hiccups I am experiencing....I`m glad , because I thought it was just me......as you say there`s no easy answer..thanks Sal....allan

Comment

It is nothing to do with being polite.

Many computer databases do not allow using the hyphen or dash when searching (because it tells the computer to do something) and work rounds have to be employed.
                  Such as searching for either half of the hyphenated name.
                  Searching for the whole name run together, etc.
                  Cheers
                  Guy
                  Last edited by Guy; 19-06-10, 06:52. Reason: additional bracketed comment
                  Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

I was referring to the real world, not just databases. Thankfully a lot of software does now accept hyphenated surnames, but I can remember being told by an employer who was setting up a work email address for me that my name was, "Bad. You'll have to change it." Grrr....
                    Looking for Bysh, Potter, Littleton, Parke, Franks, Sullivan, Gosden, Carroll, Hurst, Churcher, Covell, Elverson, Giles, Hawkins, Witherden...

Comment

Working...
                    X