Wow! What a great offer - not

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wow! What a great offer - not

I've just had an email saying that Ancestry is offering 10% off the fee for getting you your BMD certs.

That would mean that, instead of paying £13.74 (149%) too much, you only pay £11.44 (124%) too much. (The price is reduced from £22.99 to £20.69). For anyone who isn't aware, you can get the certificate direct from GRO (&/or from some of the local ROs) for £9.25. There is usually no add-on for P&P, either.

Ancestry may be a great site for lots of resources, but it's seriously hard not to see that as a rip-off.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

I've just had an email from them telling me I can get certificates from them for £22.99.

They haven't even offered me a discount.

They must think we are mad

June

Comment

I just had an offer of 15% off certificates and it will only take 16 days to reach me. What a tempting offer!!! NOT!!!

Anne

Comment

Originally posted by JuneR View Post
        I've just had an email from them telling me I can get certificates from them for £22.99.

They haven't even offered me a discount.

They must think we are mad

June
        Not "mad", June - "ignorant"!

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

bmd certificates.co.uk are asking £25 for standard ad £60 for express when ordered from the UK

Our Australian cousins are asked for $53.36 AUD for standard service and a whopping $128.07 AUD for express
          http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
          My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
          My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

I was recently talking to a friend of mine who told me she couldnt afford to buy certificates as they cost so much, she then proceeded to tell me after exchange rate conversion she had paid about $50-$60 AUD for one certificate....I nearly fell off my chair!!! I quickly showed her the GRO site and told her to not go anywhere else to purchase certificates.
            [COLOR="Purple"][COLOR="darkorchid"]Thanks

Mystic.........

Comment

They do usually have much more info on an Australian cert than on a UK one.

It's also possible, in some states at least, to get transcriptions or images instead of paying the full fee - if you don't have a legal axe to grind. Like Scotland, rather than England & Wales.

Christine

PS - Hate to think what Ancestry would charge for that service!

Comment

Working...
              X