Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Please... I'm so confused. AVG 8.5 being replaced

On my home PC which 4 family members use I have AVG UK 8.5 which gives me:
    Anti Virus, Anti Spyware, Email Scanner, License, Link Scanner, Resident Shield, Update Manager all Active but no ID protection.

I've just had a reminder that 8.5 is being replaced by version 9. I can down load Version 9 for free which will give me
    High-speed Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware with auto updates, LinkScannerĀ® for safe surfing and searching.

Is this sufficient? or should I purchase AVG Internet Security which would give me
    High-speed Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware with auto updates, LinkScannerĀ® for safe surfing and searching, Expert technical support, WebShield for safe social networking, chatting and downloading,
    Anti-Rootkit prevents sophisticated hidden threats accessing your PC, Game Mode keeps you safe without interrupting you playing, Anti-Spam for a safe, uncluttered inbox, Identity Protection for safe banking and shopping, Enhanced Firewall to keep hackers out of your PC.

The AVG Internet Security seems good to me but I'm not that good at this sort of stuff and wonder if anyone else uses this one and can give me some advice.

I certainly don't want to be without any Computer protection!
    teresa

The free AVG 9 is adequate for anti-virus etc. For extra protection against spyware etc, I use SuperAntiSpyware and AdAware. These are all free. For safe banking and shopping I just use commonsense and check/delete any e-mails that look like they are from banks, type in known shopping website addresses rather than click on any link you are sent, and so on (although to be fair, Identity Protection does more than this, e.g. hides any trace of account details you have typed in etc.).

I hope this helps.
    Laurence.

Comment

I used to use AVG7 but my Windows Vista did not like it. I now use AVAST which is very basic and AdAware as it is a rare occassion that I ever download anything.

I use Mail2Web which I keep with my 'favorites/bookmarks' and automatically look at my emails on this site before downloading. Any I don't like the look of I delete at this stage. While it does not give me complete protection too much can becomes a nightmare and prevents access to so many things. I just try and keep it simple.

If you are going to download video's and masses of other stuff well I think you will have to go for the full works.
      Margaret N
      DOGS HAVE OWNERS ~ CATS HAVE STAFF

Researching:- WILBURN from Yorkshire/Kings Lynn, London. NEWMAN from Dover/Reading. DOUGHTY from Portsmouth. ROGERS from Bethnal Green. Rumbelow from Norfolk

Comment

For extra protection for spyware I like Malwarebytes and I also have Spywareblaster (works slightly differently). Get both downloads safely from http://download.cnet.com/windows/ With those 2 and AVG 9 I haven't had a problem.

Comment

I use AVG 9 and have had no problems whatsoever with any virus or adware. I would highly recommend.
          Margaret

Comment

I also have AVG 9 - free edition and never had problems either.
            Stella passed away December 2014

Comment

Thanks for all you advice.
              Sorry I havent been able to reply sooner, but we've had the electricians and plumbers in and I couldn't get to use my computer!
              teresa

Comment

Hi Teresa,
                I've used AVG in the past and it is very good. But I used to do a complete scan and my PC slowed down and could take up to two hours to scan.
                My son-in-law recommended Avast free version which just runs in the background and does not noticably slow my PC. Since installing Avast I have had no problems with viruses at all.

Regards

Jim
                Feel free to visit my site: http://familyhistory4all.co.uk
                Beginners guide to tracing your family history. Plus monthly Newsletter

Comment

Working...
                X