John Hawes of Fosdyke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Hawes of Fosdyke

John Hawes lived in Fosdyke, Lincolnshire in 1834, he was born in 1792.
    In 1819 he was sentenced to 7 years transportation for stealing a piece silver worth 10p.
    In 1834 he was sentenced to 14 years transportation for stealing a greatcoat, cotton shirt, a small book and a bodkin case of needles. He was transported on the Bengal Merchant to New South Wales in 1835.
    If you can add information, I would be grateful.
    Last edited by John Hargrave; 17-06-10, 06:20.

Are you searching for info on his early life and parentage or on what happened to him after he reached NSW?
    Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Are you sure it was Fordyke and not Fosdyke?

There's a possible reference to a Fordyke to the east of Hull, but that's Yorkshire.

There's a Fosdyke and Fosdyke Bridge on the River Welland in Lincolnshire (not far from The Wash): south of Boston and NNE of Spalding.

Christine

PS - unless transportation continued as a punishment far later than I'd thought (and your man lived incredibly long), that last date should be 1835! ;)
      Last edited by Christine in Herts; 14-06-10, 13:50.
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

There appears to have been a church in Fosdyke (per the IGI), but no HAWES show up. The nearest (place/date) John HAW(E)S in the IGI (which doesn't have every church's records) seems to be at Spalding - batch C031562 - baptised 31 Dec 1793, s/o Thomas HAWS and Elizabeth.

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

In The Bury and Norwich Post: Or Suffolk, Essex, Cambridge, Ely, and Norfolk Telegraph (Bury Saint Edmunds, England), Wednesday, April 14, 1819; pg. [1]; Issue 1920. 19th Century British Library Newspapers: Part II.
          The same is also in : The Ipswich Journal (Ipswich, England), Saturday, April 17, 1819; Issue 4221

There's a mention of a servant of the name (age about 21 - which is a bit young for yours) who absconded, along with Samuel CURTIS and William THEOBALD, with "a large quantity of wearing apparel, to the amount of nearly 20/-, lately taken from a shop in the parish, and not paid for". But that was from Elmswell in Suffolk, not in Lincolnshire - tho' that doesn't necessarily mean it isn't the same person.

Christine
          Last edited by Christine in Herts; 14-06-10, 14:14.

Comment

Are both these sentences to the same person? If he got 7 years in 1819 did he come home again and commit another offence in 1834? I know some convicts did come home but I believe many stayed and settled wherever they had been transported to.

Anne

Comment

Yes I am, but mistakenly I have put he sailed in 1935, obviously should 1835.
              Last edited by John Hargrave; 17-06-10, 06:33. Reason: spelt obviously wrongly.

Comment

Thanks for that Christine. A hundred years punishment would have been slightly harsh, and yes, it is Fosdyke, near Boston, I believe.

Comment

Hello Anne, thank you for your relpy.
                  It would appear, from the information I have, that he did return home. I have no idea where he was transported tofor the fist offence, but for his second offence he was sent to New South Wales.
                  He was described as single, able to read but not write, in good health and of bad character. His crime actually took place at Fosdyke Wash, and he was sentenced at Holland Quarter Sessions.

Comment

Hello Christine.
                    Thank you for your information. John Hawes may well have orignated from the Suffolk area, or perhaps Norfolk. I have some information about families of Hawes (Haws) in these areas but nothing I can tie into my mother's family. The first descendent I can find is of a James Hawes of East Dereham, Norfolk who was born c1785. His daughter Sarah Jane Hawes (my 3rd great grandmother) was born in East Dereham in 1806, and moved to Long Sutton, Lincolnshire to give birth to her illegitimate son, Charles Robert Hawes, about 1831.
                    Thanks for the information you have given to me, I will keep it safe until I can complete the jigsaw.
                    John.

Comment

Hello Judith.
                      I really am 'clutching at straws' here but any information regarding John Hawes, his life here and in NSW (if he ever made it that far second time around) would be very useful.
                      Thanks for your interest.
                      John.

Comment

Hi - there's a John Hawes in NSW BMD who passed away in 1837 aged 43...
                        The Registry was formed in 1856 to register life events in New South Wales accurately and securely for all time, ensuring their integrity and confidentiality. All our over the counter services are available at Service NSW centres.

wonder if it's your man? You can apply for the cert on line.

Have you found anything in the trove site? http://trove.nla.gov.au/
                        you can also look at the papers on http://newspapers.nla.gov.au/
                        Last edited by naomiatt; 17-06-10, 08:01.

Comment

Thanks for that Naomiatt. It is very useful and I will have a look at the sites you have directed me to.
                          Regards John.

Comment

If you find that the newspapers.nla site looks as if it should be useful, but you have trouble getting it to function, the older beta site is still available: http://ndpbeta.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/search?adv=y

I find I get on better with the beta version.

Christine

PS - Have you had a look on the Wiki - especially the the Australia page(s) - to see if there are any useful info/links there you don't already have?

Comment

These might be worth contacting - http://home.vicnet.net.au/~dcginc/
                              where did you find John on the Bengal Merchant?
                              This site shows a John Hawes who got 14 years for "robbing ship", aged 41
                              http://www.bengalanmine.com/bengal1835.html arrived in Botany Bay 18th Jan 1835
                              Left Downs, 1st October, 1834

I agree with you Christine - the beta site is much easier to work with...
                              Last edited by naomiatt; 17-06-10, 23:10.

Comment

Hello Naomiatt.
                                The reference to the Bengal Merchant comes from the Holland (Lincolnshire) documents.
                                Holland Quarter Sessions A/1/1/1834/Bo/Mids126-134,157,159a; COC4/1/7/59. The crime took place at Fosdyke Wash.
                                These details were sent to me by a relative.
                                I think the John Hawes you have found is probably the same person.
                                Thank you so much for your help.
                                Kind regards. John.

Comment

Hello John - how did you get on?

Comment

Working...
                                  X