Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christening records

Hi all.

On the family search site, I have found 4 christenings. Why can't I find them on Ancestry?

Jackie
    Be nice to your kids...they have to choose your nursing home!

Which parish did these christenings take place? The Mormons International Genealogical Index on the Family Search site covers a wide range of parishes but not all. Equally Ancestry have good coverage of London parish records and patchy coverage of the rest of the country. So it is more often the case than not that baptisms will be only on one site. (And don't forget that there are still many many parish records which haven't made it onto the internet at all)
    Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

As Judith says, I think there are far,far, more parish records not on the inernet in any form than those that are! Having struggled through some of them, my thoughts are that those which are too hard to read are not there!!!

Anne

Comment

Jackie - which parishes are they?
        ~ with love from Little Nell~
        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

They are all the same parish:
          St Peters, Oldham, Lancashire.
          Jackie

Comment

Where were you expecting to find them on Ancestry?

The image set they added recently is from the LMA (London Metropolitan Archives), so mainly from London. There are one or two from outside London, but they tend to be nearby in the Home Counties. Lancashire would be much too far away to be represented in that set.

If you're after Lancashire baptisms, I'd be inclined to try the OPC. http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/ Lancashire has quite good coverage.

Christine
            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thanks Christine, I'll have a looksee!
              Jackie

Comment

Christine,
                I went there and it says there are no records extracted for that particular church....there must be if they are on the LDS site?
                Jackie

Comment

Of course the years may not be what you are after but if this is the right church - they do look to have some records transcribed here - http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/Oldham/Old...ter/index.html

Someone who knows the area better can hopefully confirm this but from the LDS records it appears they microfilmed the registers over the period 1990 - 2004 and the originals could be at Central Library, Oldham - http://www.familysearch.org/eng/libr...&columns=*,0,0

The films look to cover the years 1768 - 1933 for baptisms - http://www.familysearch.org/eng/libr....++Peter%27s++

You can order copies of the films through the LDS Family History Centres and some family history/genealogical groups

Good Luck
                  Sue

Comment

Originally posted by Jacqueline View Post
                    I went there and it says there are no records extracted for that particular church....there must be if they are on the LDS site?
                    Why must they? The LDS chose which records to transcribe. Other transcribing organisations choose which records they will transcribe. Who does what depends on the willingness of the owners of the registers to let them be transcribed by particular organisations, and the resources and priorities of the transcribing organisations. I'm particularly interested in parish records from a particular part of Cumbria. The last transcription was done in 1903 and is only available as a microfiche of the original book.
                    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Not all the entries on the LDS site are from transcriptions (ie extracted records). The other entries are those submitted by individual church members and are often just a best guess!

Comment

Originally posted by Jacqueline View Post
                        Christine,
                        Jackie
                        The Lancs OPC site is an ongoing project, with transcriptions done by volunteers. There's a "What's New" page if you want to keep track of the latest updates.

On the Lancashire OPC site, in the menu on the left click on Parishes in Lancashire > Oldham > Churches > St Peter (number 9 in the list), and it will take you to this page: The Church of St Peter, Oldham where you can see what records, if any, have been transcribed. In the menu on the left you can click on Baptisms, and that'll bring up a page of baptism records transcribed to date (currently covering 1768 to 1837).
                        Last edited by Cloggie; 16-06-10, 13:44.
                        Sarah

Comment

Thank You everyone. I guess my lot haven't been transcribed yet. Oh well! At least I understand why now.
                          Jackie

Comment

Working...
                          X