Stevens in West Ham

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stevens in West Ham

I'm wondering if anyone can help with my research. My mothers birth mother was a Mary Ann Maud Stevens born in 1903 in West Ham. She married a John Sullivan in June 1922 and by the time my mum was born in Nov 1922 the marriage was no more as he was already married. My mum was cared for by her birth mothers cousin. I know Mary Ann married a George Fogg in 1925 and had six more children but I don't know what happened to her or how to find out if John Sullivan ended up in court. I would appreciate any advice.

Di

Hello Di

I had a quick look at some possible info on John SULLIVAN, without success (Times Digital Archive - you may be able to get that online with your library card - I can with Hertfordshire Library Service; and the online search at TNA).

Will get back to you if I have more ideas - have to dash, now.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I wonder if this is her death Di? It's the nearest in age I can find and perhaps whoever (possibly her husband) registered the death forgot/didn't know about her third name?

Mary A Fogg - died Jan-March quarter of 1967 aged 63 in East Ham Essex ref 5b 143
      p.s. I notice that the last child was born in East Ham in 1945.

I also wonder if this is her husbands death as the most likely George R Fogg birth I could find was in 1899.

George Robert Fogg - born 24 Oct 1899 - Died July-Sept 1975 - Newham Greater London - ref 15 1590
      Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Thanks for the info. That seems quite likely that your information is correct. My mum never spoke of her birth mother so I really know nothing about her. I found out about her marriage to George Fogg through a contact on Ancestry.com. I live in Australia so I'm unsure about the places to make enquiries besides Ancestry or Archives. Thanks for your help.

Regards

Di

Comment

Thanks for your help. I live in Australia so I'm not too sure about where to look for info besides Ancestry and Archives. Thanks again.

Regards

Di

Comment

Hello Di

It's worth checking out what online resources your local library service offers you. My local service has all sorts of stuff, useful for more than just genealogy. You may find that thy have the TDA there, as we do here, because of it having been a major newspaper.

Christine
            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Working...
            X