Question 2 - Surname

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question 2 - Surname

Could anyone tell me if the surname Golt unusual? My OH seems to think it is ;) Ali

The answer to that can be deduced by just putting in GOLT into the surname box on the starting page of Ancestry. Since most of the results appear to be in double figures only (BENNETT, for instance, is in double-figure thousands), I think you could safely say "yes" to that question!

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

It seems likely to be a variant of GALT - itself not common. The same trick gets hits only in the hundreds, instead of the tens you get for GOLT.

It seems to have Scottish/Irish connections?

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

dunno, not a name I have heard before.
        Julie
        They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Not one I've come across either, but be prepared for any variant of spelling or mistranscription.

Comment

According to my 1881 surname atlas there were only 18 GOLTs on that census! There were 677 GALTs. Both those are rare, but GOLT extremely so. For example there were 3719 GOODs and 6410 GOODALLs.

The GOLTs showed on the map as being mostly in Yorkshire. The GALTs were more widespread in Scotland, and a few in Northern England and the Isle of Wight.

Anne
            Last edited by Anne in Carlisle; 11-06-10, 13:30.

Comment

There was/is a Scottish educational publishing company called GALT.
              Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Suddenly remembered:

Galt's Toys.

Christine

Comment

Well done dear. *pats Christine on the head*
                  Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Thank you, UJ! I recall having something that was a Galt toy... Can't recall what at the moment.

They have a website.

Christine

Comment

Working...
                    X