Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help Needed with 1841 Census + Previous Marriages!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Needed with 1841 Census + Previous Marriages!

Hi,

After many years of searching, I have finally been able to track down the marriage of my 3rd Great Grandparents, John Southall and Susannah Wallis - 5 years after the birth of their first child! Susannah had been previousley married to a Mr ? Jones.

I recieved the certificate yesterday. Susannah was a widow (as expected), but John was a widower! I have spent the whole of yesterday evening and the vast majoroity of this morning trying to find John & Susannah on the 1841 census, and also to find both of their previous marriages. I have had no joy, so I now turn to the experts on here to see if you can give me a hand. The marriage happend in Tipton, Staffordshire.

John was born in 1801, at Kingswinford in Staffordshire. He was a Sawyer by trade, and so was his father William, so I persume he would have been in the profession all his life. I have tried searching all of the counties around the Black Country, but have not found him. His parents were still living in Kingswinford in 1841.

Susannah was born in 1818, at Tamworth, Staffordshire. She would have moved to Birmingham, Warwickshire, some time in the 1820's with her parents, Thomas & Sarah. She married a Mr Jones, sometime prior to 1849, and proberbly before 1844. I have searched for Susannah using both Wallis & Jones, but have not found her. I would expect her to be in Warwickshire, Worcestershire or Staffordshire, but she may be further a field. With a name like Jones, I think it would be best searching for her marriage first, but apart from the Latter day saints website, and on the GRO, I do not know where to look (apart from the local Records office!).

Can anyone help me find John on the 1841 census (I know that finding Susannah is proberly to much to ask), and also advise where I can look for their previous marriages?

Thanks,
    Tippin
    Last edited by Tippin; 11-06-10, 11:30.
    Families Intrested in
    Archer (DBY), Bannister (SFK/STS), Br(o/a)mley (DBY), Darrall (SAL/WAR), Florence (STS), Freeman (WAR), Grimsdell (BKM/STS), Knight (WAR), Sheldrake (SKF), Simpson (LND/STS), Smith (SFK/WAR/WOR), Tatham (LND), Tippin(s) (HEF/WAR), Wagstaff (DBY/NTT), Whitefoot (SAL/WAR)

Could this be him in 1841

Class: HO107; Piece 996; Book: 5; Civil Parish: Kingswinford; County: Staffordshire; Enumeration District: 8; Folio: 16; Page: 25; Line: 16; GSU roll: 474624.
    Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

what year did they marry Tippin? John & Susannah that is.

do you have dob for Thomas and Sarah? perhaps if you can find them on the 1841 it might help discount if she was living with them or not. Have you looked for a death of Mr. Jones?
      Julie
      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Originally posted by WendyPusey
        Could this be him in 1841

Class: HO107; Piece 996; Book: 5; Civil Parish: Kingswinford; County: Staffordshire; Enumeration District: 8; Folio: 16; Page: 25; Line: 16; GSU roll: 474624.
        Hi Wendy. Thanks for having a look for me. I have had a look at the John Southall you pointed out, but have found him on the 1851 Census living with Sophia in Kingswinford. He says he was born in Tenbury, Worcestershire, so I don't think this is the man I am looking for.

Originally posted by Darksecretz
        what year did they marry Tippin? John & Susannah that is.

do you have dob for Thomas and Sarah? perhaps if you can find them on the 1841 it might help discount if she was living with them or not. Have you looked for a death of Mr. Jones?
        Hi Julie. John & Susannah married in 1849. Thomas Wallis was a Bricklayer, and was living on Unett Street, Birmingham in 1841. There is no sign of Susannah unfortunatley. I have no idea where to start looking for the death of Mr Jones. He could have died anywhere. And as the GRO index does not give details about age in the 1840's, I think it might be impossible.

Thanks for the replys,
        Tippin
        Families Intrested in
        Archer (DBY), Bannister (SFK/STS), Br(o/a)mley (DBY), Darrall (SAL/WAR), Florence (STS), Freeman (WAR), Grimsdell (BKM/STS), Knight (WAR), Sheldrake (SKF), Simpson (LND/STS), Smith (SFK/WAR/WOR), Tatham (LND), Tippin(s) (HEF/WAR), Wagstaff (DBY/NTT), Whitefoot (SAL/WAR)

Comment

what was susannah's address on the marriage cert?

Comment

what about HO107 976 20/10 12
            A Henry Jones married to a Susan born 1816 Staffs living in Main Street Tatenhill Barton Under Needwood

Comment

Working...
            X