Who's up for a tricky one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who's up for a tricky one?

On LMA marriages, two sisters married, Hilda Katherine Townsend in 1916 http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec/?...c=&pid=5390474 and Beatrice Cottle Townsend in 1919 http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec/?...c=&pid=5390763.

Can anyone have a look and see if they think the signature of the second witness is the same person. The first witness in each case is the mother of the bride.

Secondly, any idea of the witnesses name? To me it looks like something Larner. In 1885 there is a possibility that the mothers sister married a man called Thomas Larner, the sister was named Catherine Attewell (Dec 1885 Abingdon, 2c 616). However, I haven't been able to confirm which brides married which grooms on that page in census entries.

So my query is can anyone connect the D(?) Larner witness with Catherine Attewell possibly married to Thomas Larner? Catherine was born in Nuneham Courtenay in Oxfordshire in Jun 1844.

Have fun!!

Thanks

Linda
    Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Just worked out that Catherine Attewell married the other man on the page (George Enoch) and is wasn't my Catherine anyway, but one from up the road. Still, can anyone work out the name of the witness - I feel that it must be someone close to the family if they were at 2 weddings.

Thanks,

Linda
    Linda

Comment

could it be David Farmer
      Karen

Comment

D--- Farms or Farmes

Moggie

Comment

The two signatures do look very similar, and I agree that it's probably David Farmer.

Comment

Sometimes witnesses are people who work at or hang around Register Offices to act as witness (usually for a small fee) so it's possible this is what happened here. Did you see whether any of the other marriages on the same page had this same witness?
            Margaret

Comment

Checked a few pages either side of the marriage and no further instances of this signature. Plus as these marriages were 3 years apart, he would have had to have been quite dedicated in hanging round the office!!

I'll see if I can find a David Farmer who fits in - thanks for the input.

Linda
              Linda

Comment

Linda,

I think its David JAMES, and the more I look at them the more thats all I see, I can see where Farmer could look right too, but I think it is James, and Daniel is also sometimes mistaken/misread for David.
                Julie
                They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Thanks Julie, will have a look for James possibilities then - and I just found out that the eldest daughter had married a William D Garner in 1914, but I don't know what the D stood for.

Linda
                  Linda

Comment

Working...
                  X