workhouse qustion 1901- 1911

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• workhouse qustion 1901- 1911

i have searched through 1911 census for a Margaret Ann Matilda Mitchell without any luck .She was born in 1973 in Tranmere Birkenhead Cheshire.
    1881 census and Gores directory 1882 her address was 114 Peel St Tranmere.
    1891 census she lived at 240 Old Chester Road age 18 general domestic servant
    in 1893 on 4th August Margaret age 20 was admitted to the infirmary of the Birkenhead Workhouse no discharge date found
    1901 census age 28 in workhouse classed as imbecile.
    question is did workhouses record all deaths, as i cannot find a death for her between 1901 and 1911.
    Thanks for any help

]Please note that images I restore are only temporarily kept on photobucket

[/B]FOR RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN ALL PICS AT 300-600 dpi

ALAN

Alan - I hope you weren't putting "1973" as her birth yea when you searched? That would certainly stymie all attempts!

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Does the workhouse records still exist for the place/time frame you're after?

I was extremely lucky to get Oldham's but when I tried to find Salford's was informed they'd been destroyed for the war effort!!!!!

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Can you do an address search for the workhouse? Maybe her entry has been garbled?

I was trying to work out how you'd get at the place in 1901, so that I could find it in 1911, but without success so far.

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thanks Christine have changed it now
          JB yes the have survived and have been through them but no death recorded
          The records in Birkenhead records office are very good for this workhouse, it helps that they are in alphabetical order.
          But Clatterbridge Workhouse the records have not survived and was only a couple of miles apart, but it comes under Cheshire Archives in Chester i was wondering if she might have been moved there.

ALAN

Comment

Christine I think the address was 28 Church Road Birkenhead I Know it was between 20 and 28

ALAN

Comment

wonder if this is her Margaret Ann Mitchell born abt 1873 died June quarter 1902 8E 66 in Haslingden Lancashire

Comment

I wonder if this one could be her, Margaret Mitchell showing as an inmate in the Birkenhead Workhouse on Church Road DOB showing as 1881 bn Birkenhead Cheshire

Heres the REF for you to see for youself

RG14 PN22051 RD452 SD2 ED48 SN9999
                WendyP

Comment

Thanks Val and Wendy.
                  I have found a death for a Margaret Mitchell in 1916 in Birkenhead who is the right age so I will pay a visit to Birkenhead Reg Office , to see if its the right one.I will also go to Brikenhead Archives to look at the Workhouse books to see if any other Margaret Mitchells were admitted.The one you have found in 1911 is a possibility just the DOB as they had the right age in 1901.
                  I am away tomorrow to research into Margarets Mothers side of my family she was my great grandmother.I will check these out on my return.
                  Thanks once again for your help.
                  Last edited by alan 128; 10-06-10, 13:22.

ALAN

Comment

there is a Margaret Mitchell born in 1881 Cheshire so maybe that one is her Wendy ?

Comment

it could well be Val
                      WendyP

Comment

Working...
                      X