Registration District

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Registration District

Does anyone know please, the registration district for Norwood Surrey. birth would have been 1872.

many thanks
    Jules

I'anson of Lincolnshire and Yorkshire. Bannister of Lincolnshire. Burnett of Northumberland. Carter of Sussex and Hampshire. Goldring of Sussex and Hampshire. Fitzgerald of Goodness knows where. Smith of Yorkshire and Lincolnshire. Dixon of Lincolnshire. Payne of Hampshire

according to genuki, it doesn't seem to be a parish in its own right.

Is the county correct?

Where is it near?
    Vicky

Comment

Erm, you have me there! It was on several census returns that the birth was in Norwood, Surrey. but can't see any births in Norwood, only in Richmond, Southwark etc.
      Looking for Mary fitzgerald, born abt 1872.
      Jules

I'anson of Lincolnshire and Yorkshire. Bannister of Lincolnshire. Burnett of Northumberland. Carter of Sussex and Hampshire. Goldring of Sussex and Hampshire. Fitzgerald of Goodness knows where. Smith of Yorkshire and Lincolnshire. Dixon of Lincolnshire. Payne of Hampshire

Comment

Just a shot in the dark really, but I know county boundaries have changed over time.
        If its the one near Uxbridge, Middlesex, it came under Uxbridge back then.

I'll see if I can find any possibilities....
        Last edited by Vicky the Viking; 09-06-10, 16:01.
        Vicky

Comment

Mary Fitzgerald is a common name, but I don't actually know if she had a middle name which might have helped. She was called Minnie also on 2 of the census returns. I'm pretty sure I am still looking at the same one. Hmm just noticed parents were in Croydon in 1871, so maybe the birth is registered there.
          Anyone know the odds of a Minnie born Norwood and a Mary born Norwood both with parents William and Ellen?
          This family is driving me up the wall. My direct line and I can't get past my grandfather!!! Got several certs, leads etc, but no positive proof !! Feeling a bit like a lost lamb at the moment. I'd like to know if there are any more related Fitzgeralds in the world or whether my brother is the last of them!
          Jules

Comment

It might be worth a punt on that Richmond one. I know lots of areas have small villages/hamlets called Norwood (there's one near my Sheffield home) the name has long since disappeared under a sea of brick & concrete.

Does she have any brothers & sisters also allegedly born Norwood, so you could try & find where they were registered? (to compare districts)
            Vicky

Comment

No, her siblings were born in Chelsea and St.Luke (which is Kensington I think).
              Jules

Comment

There's a Minnie Fitzgerald registered in Lambeth in June 1872...

Best of luck!!!!
                Vicky

Comment

Is it her mmn you're after? if you can definitely place one of the sibs I'd go for that one instead.

have you looked on Ancestry to see if any of the sibs baptisms are on there (the LMA collection)
                  Vicky

Comment

Hi Vicky., thanks for showing interest in my problem I do appreciate it. Unfortunately for me, they were catholic and so the baptisms dont show up, just another thing for me to contend with lol.
                    I have one cert for a brother, but that's it so far. Might have to bite the bullet (and the cost) and send off for the one you suggested.
                    Jules

Comment

According to census, she had a brother Timothy, born 1870 St.Luke, his birth doesn't show up anywhere, and he was only on the 1871 census, then disappeared, and a brother John born 1880 in Chelsea, his one is a possibility, I think I may send off for it, even though it doesn't really help me that much. I can't find him on 1901 census. Oh woe!!!
                      Jules

Comment

if they were Catholic, wasn't she far more likely to be registered as Mary rather than Minnie?
                        I know Minnie is often used as a pet name, but I'd have thought a Catholic family would be more likely to use the "proper" version on a certificate.

And of course they are likely to be of Irish origin, and I don't envy you the task of tracing them there!
                        Vicky

Comment

If you've already got a brother's birth cert you already have her mother's maiden name? Is it worth getting another cert - will it tell you anything you don't already know (other than her actual date & place of birth I mean)
                          Vicky

Comment

Originally posted by Vicky the Viking View Post
                            Just a shot in the dark really, but I know county boundaries have changed over time.
                            If its the one near Uxbridge, Middlesex, it came under Uxbridge back then.
                            That one is Norwood near Southall. The other one is near Croydon (there are several Norwood railway stations).
                            Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Norwood Surrey comes under Lambeth registration district.

LAMBETH REGISTRATION DISTRICT
                              Registration County : London (1837-1965); Greater London (1965-74).
                              Created : 1.7.1837.
                              Sub-districts : Brixton; Kennington; Kennington First; Kennington Second; Lambeth; Lambeth Central; Lambeth Church; Lambeth Church First; Lambeth Church Second; Lambeth North; Lambeth South; Norwood; Princes; Stockwell; Waterloo Road; Waterloo Road First; Waterloo Road Second.
                              GRO volumes : IV (1837-51); 1d (1852-1946); 5C (1946-65); 5D (1965-74).

Comment

Originally posted by Vicky the Viking View Post
                                If you've already got a brother's birth cert you already have her mother's maiden name? Is it worth getting another cert - will it tell you anything you don't already know (other than her actual date & place of birth I mean)
                                I really just wanted to confirm I am still looking at the right family.

thank you everyone for helping. i will try to locate a birth in Lambeth or Croydon and order it, will see what comes back
                                Jules

Comment

Working...
                                X