Resource for old documents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resource for old documents

this link has just been brought to my notice. I think its really useful for getting to grips with old documents.

Can it be added to the wiki please?
    Vicky

what, no-one interested?

Explains in easy language what documents you might encounter once you get away from the BMD indexes & parish records. Explains the language & official terms you might encounter in these old documents. Also explains (eg) the differences between copyhold, leasehold, freehold etc.
    Vicky

Comment

What a great resource! Thanks, Vicky!

Im going to need to study Manorial Records before long, and it's very helpful on that front.

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

It has been added to our Records Office Guide.

Thank you - took a while to work out the best place for it to go.

Caroline
        Caroline's Family History Pages
        Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

That looks excellent, Vicky, thanks very much.

I was looking for something similar just last night. I found a bit of information on the SOG site:

but it's not entirely up to date, and the Notts one looks much more detailed.

Comment

Working...
          X