• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does this town still exist?

Barton Risien, Glos. Eng. c 1813

Where would you find records of same?
    jood sadly died in November 2019.

This is the only Barton I can find in Gloucestershire: http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/GLS...e/Gaz1868.html

What are you trying to find out?
    Caroline
    Caroline's Family History Pages
    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

There used to be a Barton St Mary near Stroud as that was where my grandfather was born.
      I'd try contacting the Gloucestershire Family History Society for info http://www.gfhs.org.uk
      Margaret

Comment

Margaret.I made a terrible mistake - it was Barton Risien not Barton St Mary.

Comment

Hi Jood,

just a thought. Barton Regis was one of the Hundreds of Gloucestershire on the northern edge of Bristol and incoporated the parishes of Clifton and Stapleton amongst others. Barton Hill is an area of Bristol today and may be a lingering link with Barton Regis.

Merleyone

Comment

Merleyone - any suggestions where I could find the actual date of birth? (thanks for the advice)

Comment

PM on its way - with some good news!! ;);)
              Caroline
              Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Thanks Caroline - I guess I should have answered it here - shall I copy my reply over?

Comment

Originally posted by jood View Post
                  Thanks Caroline - I guess I should have answered it here - shall I copy my reply over?
                  Probably best if I copy mine - suitably edited. Then you can add to that.:D
                  Caroline

Comment

ok will do

Comment

Baptisms of Mary Ann on 29 OCT 1815 in Gloucester St Michael and Harriet Evans on 1 FEB 1818 in Upton St Leonards. Parents were Joseph and Mary Evans. Joseph is a gardener. © Gloucestershire Family History Society. Baptism Index CD 1813-1837.

Joseph Evans married Mary Miller Gloucester St Michael 10th Sept 1809 by Banns. © Gloucestershire Family History Society. Marriage index CD 1800-1837.

The baptisms only go from 1813 to 1837, so I looked on the IGI and found:

Parents: Joseph and Mary Evans
                      MARY EVANS Christening: 10 OCT 1810 St Michael, Gloucester
                      ELIZABETH EVANS Christening: 06 DEC 1812 St Michael, Gloucester

Jood told me that Elizabeth married Charles Burgess and in 1851 on the image, I can see that her place of birth was given as Barton Rise and there is a Barton Street nowadays in Gloucester. HO107 piece 1972 folio 87 page 32 ... the spelling of the enumurator is pretty dire, so it could be anywhere!!

As the CDs stop at 1837, I can't help any more, but maybe others can.
                      Caroline

Comment

Wow Catherine - thanks heaps for that information. Its more than I have had in 12 years.

The only information I had for Elizabeth (and this makes it even more mysterious) is
                        EVANS, Elizabeth
                        b. 25 Nov 1817
                        Christened: 3 Jun 1819 Chesham Bois, Buckinghamshire, England
                        Father: Joseph EVANS
                        Mother: Mary
                        I guess that is incorrect, and I've no idea where I got it - as its been in my records for years.

Elizabeth married Charles Burgess on 12 Jun 1838 St George, Hanover Square, Middlesex
                        I have 10 children for them, and they are all correct, although some don't show a place of birth or date and place of death, but they are obviously local. Would they be on your disc?
                        The 10 children are
                        Elizabeth Burgess b.12 Jan 1839Marylebone, Middlesex d. Aft 1901 -----
                        Charles Burgess b.1840 Glos UK d. June 1842Ch/ham
                        Fanny Burgess b.1841 Charlton Kings, Glos d.0 Dec 1858 ----
                        Laura Ann Burgess b.1845 Charlton Kings, Glos d. ____ ____
                        Charles Brown Burgess b.Dec1846 ____ d. ____ ____
                        Mary Burgess b.1849 Ch/ham, Glos 6 May 1893 Bramery Cottage, London Rd, Ch/ham
                        Joseph Burgess b.1850 ____ d. ____ ____
                        William Charles Burgessb.5 Mar 1852 Charlton Kings Glos 8 Aug 1891 Mt Brown, South Australia
                        Henry Burgess b.1856 ____ d. ____ ____
                        James Ward Burgess b.1858 ____ d. 2 Nov 1893 Bramery Cottage, Cheltenham

Can you or anyone else help? I actually visited the church when I was in UK from Australia in 1998, but must have missed looking up some information.

Comment

Working...
                        X