Gutted! Isn't this their fault?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gutted! Isn't this their fault?

Just received a cert for my grandmother's death. OK I obviously had the wrong person with the same name, but I also gave her new husbands name, so why did they send the wrong cert if they are supposed to be checking that both names correspond with what is on the cert in the first place???

Can I apply for a refund?
    Jen

Researching: Brandon.London/M/cr. Tyson.France/Mcr.

I would if I were you as I don't think they should send a cert if all the details don't match. On a death cert though, how can you be sure the new husband would be mentioned?
    Margaret

Comment

Is this a GRO one? they now say they won't check anything other than the name corresponds to the reference number you send. (presumably that would include BOTH bride & groom if supplied for a marriage)

On the other hand, if its from a local registrar, and you wrote a nice letter, they usually don't send a cert that's definitely wrong. Some will phone & ask if it **could** be right if it doesn't quite fit what you were expecting. Yet another reason not to use the GRO.
      Vicky

Comment

Thanks Margaret & Vicky........I've since discovered it's my own fault. It was a death cert and I got the wrong ref no. I've since found the right one and re-ordered. That was an expensive mistake I made.......obviously had other things on my mind at the time.
        Jen

Researching: Brandon.London/M/cr. Tyson.France/Mcr.

Comment

You really have to watch them at the moment.
          I ordered 20 certs on Apr 1st, due to the impending price increase.
          Eventually, 19 arrived over 3 days.
          I rang at the beginning of May to inquire where the missing one was - was told it had definirely been despatched, ring again in a week.
          Eight days later I rang again - was told I should have used the e-mail facility, but yes, it had definitely been despatched.
          I e-mailed - no response. 2 weeks later I e-mailed again and also rang up. (Phone call 3) Yes the cert had definitely been despatched - it said so on the computer screen.
          2 days later I had an e-mail to say they were refunding my money - reason?? The certificate I'd ordered could not be found??? So how come Iwas told 3 times "it's definitely been sent."

Jay
          Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 09-06-10, 18:33. Reason: spelling
          Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Originally posted by Vicky the Viking View Post
            they now say they won't check anything other than the name corresponds to the reference number you send.
            Ah, but you can still specify any known details if you don't supply a reference number, and if it doesn't match they must refund you in full. They are no longer allowed to charge for checking.

Originally posted by Vicky the Viking View Post
            On the other hand, if its from a local registrar, and you wrote a nice letter, they usually don't send a cert that's definitely wrong. Some will phone & ask if it **could** be right if it doesn't quite fit what you were expecting. Yet another reason not to use the GRO.
            Very true, I always go this route if I can. They are usually a lot quicker too, and some of them supply a scan of the original document.

Comment

Janet in Yorkshire, that is very interesting. My missing certificate was ordered on the 16th of March and due for dispatch on the 23rd. Three email and 3 phone calls later and it is the 11th of June and I have still not received it! I was told it had been sent, twice. I was told to expect it to be posted 2 days later. Then when I 'phoned a recorded message told me to ring off as they were very busy. I still waited and rang again yesterday and got the same words "A new certificate will be sent out in two days". I hope to receive it on Tuesday or Wednesday but I'm not getting too excited. It looks to me as though they have never found it - like yours

Comment

Oh dear, my sympathies.

I found it very alarming to be told the "dupes" department (which works solely on sending out duplicates of certs allegedly sent out but lost in the post) was about 10 days behind and was playing catch up.
                To me, that suggests there is too high a rate of errors in the first place. Why should the GRO have so many letters "lost in the post" that they need a special department to deal with this??

I know all the details of my "missing" cert were correct - I already have a copy from the church marriage reg, but as it was for my direct line and at the very beginning of civil reg, I thought it would be nice to have the one from the GRO.

Hope you get a satisfactory outcome soon.

Jay
                Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 12-06-10, 10:23. Reason: spelling
                Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

about a year ago I had an email from them asking to confirm my address as a cert I'd ordered had been returned to them.
                  There was absolutely nothing wrong with the address... its a very unusual street name, so even if they couldn't read the postcode anyone in the RM with any nous [tall order I suppose] could have worked out where it was.

I think what had actually happened is that the address page had been put in the envelope the wrong way (ie facing inwards) so the postie couldn't actually read it. Any dept sending out large volumes of mail will have machines to stuff the envelopes; it only needs a dozy assistant to load the machine the wrong way up to cause havoc.
                  Vicky

Comment

Working...
                  X