Channel Islands births

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Channel Islands births

Is there anywhere that gives informations on births in the Channel Islands, specifically Alderney, in late 1800's ?

Thanks

Linda
    Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Hiya Linda......In case you don`t know...ALL the Channel Islands EXCEPT Jersey come under the Balliwick of Guernsey....here`s the 1841 census....probably too early for you though

http://members.shaw.ca/Jerseymaid/ click on Alderney and Caskets rock.
    ....good luck.......allan
    Last edited by garstonite; 09-06-10, 07:07.
    Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
    oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
    adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
    merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
    coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Comment

Linda, done't forget to take a look in our Reference Library to see if there is anything useful - Channel Islands
      Elaine

Comment

Thanks for the replies - I have found them on the censuses, partly - The person I was looking for was in the army garrison on Alderney for years - I believe he was in charge of Ordnance, and had 16 children while there. On the 1881 census the army are just listed as numbers of people at certain ages.

Elaine, I did have a look at the Wiki, this was late last night, and I was planning to let admin know today, that a number of the links are no longer valid, will double check this morning as to which ones.

I just thought to check the Army births register and I found them - she had 17 children in all, 15 within 19 years!

Linda
        Last edited by ozgirl; 09-06-10, 09:06.
        Linda

Comment

I may be wrong but I`m sure Joy was researching her Military ancestor from Alderney.......btw I usually am wrong....lol...

http://pilot.familysearch.org/record...c=fs%3A1584983 this is another source....presume it covers Alderney.........allan
          Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire

Comment

Thanks for the link Allan, unfortunately none of mine were on there - luckily there name is not very common, I think they were the only family of that name in the Islands.

Linda
            Linda

Comment

Originally posted by ozgirl View Post
              Elaine, I did have a look at the Wiki, this was late last night, and I was planning to let admin know today, that a number of the links are no longer valid, will double check this morning as to which ones.

Linda
              Just goes to show how quickly some of these links change! When we moved everything from the wiki pages we checked that every single link was working ... which it was!

If anyone finds a link in the Reference Library which doesn't work, just leave a message in the comments box which you will find at the bottom of each page, and one of us will check it out.
              Elaine

Comment

What`s the surname Linda...may just be on www.geneanet.org ... put in just the surname leave the place blank......then you will have to trawl through and see if there is a match with Alderney.....allan

Comment

Hi Allan, the surname is Attewell, but I have managed to find all the children born in Alderney as most were on the military births lists, and others on the 1891 and 1901 census. On the 1911 they stated that they had 17 children, and I found them all, plus extra background from an article written about the 9 soldier sons from Alderney in 1914.

Thanks for your help, I had a look on the geneanet site - mine gave me the dutch version! but there was nothing mentioning Channel Islands/Alderney.
                  Linda

Comment

ok Linda....worth a try....good luck....allan

Comment

Working...
                    X