New at researching family tree

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New at researching family tree

Hello, I wonder if someone could give me some advice. I am trying to research my father's side of the family. I have no living relatives that I am in touch with to help me and I am a bit stuck regarding my Grandfather. My father was Wilfred Edward Rogers, born in Cym South Wales to Alice Bool who I think was born in 1882, I think in Somerset and married Albert Rogers (not sure when) born 1890 I think. My father had 2 sisters Lilian and Violet and a brother William (I have no idea when or where they were born, but my grandmother and aunts and uncle did live in Bristol as I recall visiting them all once when I was a child in the early 1960's). Anyway family folklore says that Grandfather left my Grandmother when my father was a small child and went off to India, I don't know if this is true. This is where I'm stuck (I think). I am not sure I am researching correctly? should I keep trying to track my grandfather down, if so where should I start? I am interested in where and when he died but would I be able to find out if he had died in India?

Thanks in advance, Ali

Hello Ali,

Welcome to Family Tree Forum, firstly do you have any certificates? you say your father was, I must ask if your dad has passed, (as we don't permit the names of living people onsite)
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

This is the marriage for Sarah Alice Bool to Alfred Rogers
      1904 Quarter: Jul-Aug-Sep District: Bristol County: Avon, Gloucestershire Volume: 6a Page: 173
      You can use this information to order a marriage certificate from GRO here http://http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/ for £9,25 and it will tell you their fathers' names and take you back another generation.
      Margaret

Comment

Is this your father's birth
        Wilfred Edward Rogers
        Year of Registration: 1909 Quarter of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec District: Bedwelty County: Monmouthshire Volume: 11a Page: 74
        Margaret

Comment

This could be Lilian
          Lilian Rogers
          Year of Registration: 1905
          Quarter of Registration: Apr-May-Jun District: Bedwelty County: Monmouthshire Volume: 11a Page: 87
          Margaret

Comment

Hi Ali

I would strongly advise you to obtain the BDM certificates starting with your own if you haven't already got them to confirm parents etc - as many of us have been caught out by thinking we knew something which turned out to be wrong.

On one line I was convinced I knew up to the grandfather and so started from there and got loads of certificates and followed parish records and got back several generations only to discover when I eventually sent for the grandfather's marriage certificate that his father wasn't Patrick but Francis (a completely different family). A lot of time and money wasted too unless I can find a link - distant cousin perhaps.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

WOW Margaret :D, I didn't expect all this help thank you so much. You have my father's birth info correct, and I can assume that Lilian is his sister seems to fit really well as I believe he was younger than her. And my grandparents marriage. I'll get on an order the certificate. I did once buy some credits with Ancestry.co.uk. Would you recommend them, or another search site? I did find I got sort of overwhelmed with links. thank you so so much for you help.Ali

Julie, about from brother and sister all my parents and grandparents are all deceased. Not sure about aunts and uncle's though, but guess my father's are no longer with us and on my mother's side only one sister alive. But I will remember you message of caution, thanks for the tip off :D

Comment

Ali,
                you are more than welcome

Alot of us have Ancestry subscriptions, some have Findmypast subscriptions, I 'get on better' with Ancestry as it seems to be a one-stop-shop, but do agree with JBee that certificates are the way to go, and if you are careful you can find alot out, if in doubt ASK, there are alot of helpful members on here and I'd rather ask the question than not ask and get it totally wrong, we all started out somewhere, just keep posting and take onboard what folks are saying
                Julie
                They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

I and many other members find Ancestry.co.uk a good all round site as they have all the births deaths and marriages indexed and all the census going back from 1901 to 1841 which are a great help for placing families together. As has been said getting certificates is key to making sure you research the right family.
                  The 1911 census which is on a site called Findmypast only at the moment may show your father and his family.
                  Margaret

Comment

Hi everyone, thanks for your helpful comments. Just to check what you all seem to be saying is that once I've identified a possible relative by BMD than I should get the certificates for all these events to take me to the next stage, is that correct?

Comment

I'll add my Welcome to FTF, Ali.

FindMyPast also has the other censuses - and their transcriptions have been done separately, so sometimes one site will be better than the other for a particular name.

In fact FMP just has a different lot of info. You need to work out which has the most of what you want - and whether or not there are other legitimate ways of getting what you want... I can get Ancestry.com by visiting my local library, for instance.

Christine
                      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Yse, we are saying that you need to work back carefully by getting the certificates for example if you get the marriage for your grandparents that will give father's names and you can then perhaps track them to a census or two and find out their families and their occupations.
                        I guess that with the name of Bool there will be lots of transcription errors on censuses so you'll need plenty of time and patience to find them LOL
                        Margaret

Comment

Start with your own birth certificate (which hopefully you have) then go for parents marriage certificate (this will give their father's name and occupation and where they were living when they married - also if either one of them was married before?!) Also look at the witnesses of the marriage because they could be rellies too.

Don't be surprised at what you might find in your research - makes it more interesting - I've got all sorts ie marriages that don't seem to take place, fathers missing off birth certificate or a different name than expected, a widow with 8 children (but no marriage? thankfully not direct line).

As Christine said the local library may have free ancestry access for BDM Indexes and Census info as well as a lot more but it depends on how accessible that is for you.

As has been said you can always ask for help on here but if you need a family tree programme there's various Family Tree Maker programmes that includes 6 months free ancestry subscription (there are various different options depending on what you need). I think one company is giving a 50% discount at the moment and if you buy through a cash back site like quidco you get even more cheaper.

Can someone put the link to the relevant thread please.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

You can also see the 1911 census here http://www.1911census.co.uk/search/tnaform.aspx and can search for free then when you see a record you think is yours you buy some credits to view the transcript and or the original document image. There doesn't seem to be any trace of Alice, Albert or any of the children as far as I can see. Could they all have gone to India but then Alice came back with the children without Albert?
                            Margaret

Comment

Hello Ali and Welcome....

The certificates are essential as I think most of us have been caught up at some stage.....

Please only buy the certs from the GRO site or a local office (I'm in Australia so not sure what office) But......DON'T buy them from other sites because they are very, very expensive.....

Good Luck.

Comment

Hi Ali.............just a line to say Welcome to FTF....and enjoy the site and it`s friendly members....allan
                                Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
                                oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
                                adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
                                merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
                                coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Comment

Originally posted by Harrys mum View Post
                                  Please only buy the certs from the GRO site or a local office (I'm in Australia so not sure what office) But......DON'T buy them from other sites because they are very, very expensive.....
                                  What Libby meant by "a local office" is the Register Office where the event was registered (or where that particular register is now held). Hopefully all will become clear once you identify the correct events and where they were registered. Hand-holding is always on offer here.
                                  Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Thanks UJ.................I knew what I meant.....lol

Just didn't want a new member paying more than necessary.

Comment

Here's my little bit of advice . Take it steady!!! At the start of your research you can be overwhelmed and get very excited (I know I did!). That's when mistakes can happen. If you can bear it just try to follow one family line for a while. If you get stuck with them, that's the time to let it rest and go to another bit of your family. When you eventually turn back to the others it will be with fresh eyes and more experience. Good luck!

Anne

Comment

That's good advice Anne. I went off trying to trace everyone all at once and got into a huge muddle LOL
                                        Margaret

Comment

Working...
                                        X