Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it worth trekking to library, yet, for A'y info?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it worth trekking to library, yet, for A'y info?

I'm not asking anyone to supply detailed info in breach of their T&C, but I'd really like to know whether it's time to nip up to the library and get the info from there, yet...

There's a marriage record on the GRO index:
    1841q3 Islington 3-177
    James Mailstone Wilson MALYON & Bridget GANTLY or Jane GORDON or Alice SPENCER or Anne WHALEY
    (Other grooms: Thomas ARAM, John WARE - no fourth named to match the four brides)
    I suspect that "James Mailstone Wilson MALYON" is actually two people:
    James MAILSTONE
    Wilson MALYON
    If someone can spot a marriage in the LMA records, that would be a real bonus for a friend's tree. MAILSTONE appears in various phonetic versions, including MAYL(E)STON(E).

If it's there, I shall know it's worth including in my to-do list for my next visit. It makes more sense to collect up particular records for a trip, and also more sense not to spend time looking for what isn't there (yet).

thanks
    Christine
    Last edited by Christine in Herts; 08-06-10, 17:48.
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Hiya
    It says surname is:MALYON
    forenames: James Mailstone Wilson
    Therefore Mailstone is a middle name not the surname.
    Mailstone more than likely a prev marriage into this family of Maylon. Could be a grandmother was a Maylon & his mother a Wilson or the other way round.
    All the best
    tugman

Comment

James Hailstone Wilson MALYON is the man's name, it's very clear in both the signature and the part filled in by the parish clerk/vicar.

Comment

Thank you both... how very disappointing! I'll postpone that particular hunt for another day, I think.

I'd managed to match up Thomas ARAM to Alice SPENCER, by means of 1851 + Medway CityArk parish registers for St Mary's, Chatham (their son's baptism - Thomas was a mariner, so not around in 1851).
        I'd matched John WARE to Anne WHALEY on the basis of an 1861 couple.
        That had left Bridget GANTLY and Jane GORDON to match to James Mailstone Wilson MALYON and A.N. OTHER. As that's just around the time when James Mayleston HALDEN should have been marrying someone, I thought I'd caught him! By 1851 he's a widower. :madd:

If anyone's researching this MALYON, it may be useful to be aware that MAYLESTON appears to be a Scottish name... except that even that is irrelevant, judging by Jill's post.

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Working...
        X