Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Goulton in the census

Morning all

Could someone have a quick check and see if the surname Goulton pops up at all in the Lincolnshire census rreturns please.

Seems to be another variant i need to look at, found a couple of good leads yesterday and the library pooters crashed, now can't find what i thought might have been the elusive baptism of 6xgrt g/f :(. Now we can't print anything and i'm not a happy bunny.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
    My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
    My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Which Goulton in particular were you looking for? there are several coming up in Lincolnshire
    Margaret

Comment

There aren't any specific names as such, just wondered if it was a common name and whereabouts it appears more than anything.

If there any with the following names though they could fall into a naming pattern;
      Benjamin,
      Joseph,
      Job
      Valentine

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

There's a Benjamin Goulton in 1851 HO107; Piece: 2097; Folio: 376; Page: 13 Gedney Lincs farmer born in Toxteth Liverpool 1816. Others are Grimsby, Bonby, Barton on Humber and Crokby.
        Margaret

Comment

Hmmm

The only other place the Goulson (i'm looking at variants here with the Goulton's) name really appears is Lancs/Liverpool area. Most of them are Benjamins or Josephs and originally stem from Ropsley/Knipton close to Grantham.

The places you mention tie in pretty much with baptisms i'm finding from the 1600's but it doesn't look like the names i'm used to seeing go that far back in time, the odd exception being a Valentine bap 1668 at Binbrook but transcribed in varied documents as Gulson, Goulston and Goulson and a couple of Sarah's appear too.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Hi Glen
            I think you are looking at 2 distinct surnames as opposed to variants of the same name.
            From the NBI 4 Benjamins, 1 Job,4 Josephs and 2 Valentines were all buried as Goulson, none as Goulton. Also, the burials don't cross over if you know what I mean. No parish or cemetery has a Goulson and a Goulton buried there.
            Goulton burials in the 1800's are at Croxby 8, Bonby 4, Alkborough 2, Roxby 2, Great Grimsby St Mary 3, Deeping St Nic 1 and Barton on Humber 1
            Moggie
            Last edited by maudarby; 08-06-10, 15:47.

Comment

I know what you mean Moggie

I'm throwing the blinkers off in the hope of finding something.....trying to prove if it's possible to bridge a gap of 15 or so years.

Benjamin Gulson marriage 1703, Broughton Sulney Notts to Mary Page.

Ropsley, Lincs baptisms for their kids (1703-1718) all in the surname Goulson

Headstones for the Benjamin/Mary are in the names of Goulson (i know from assorted documents that Joseph and kids could read and write). Benjamin born c 1677.

Subsequent descendants often have the forenames of Joseph, Valentine and Benjamin, there is a Valentine Goulson marriage recorded at Rothwell (Market Rasen area) 1652 and a death at Thoresway about three miles away in the surname Gulson in 1665 complete with will and probate records. Trouble is if he is mine then he died prior to 1677 so it's a generation too far back as yet.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Working...
              X