Help to find place of burial

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help to find place of burial

Hi having used the forum for some time usually for help with birth/death/marriage certificates etc I wondered if anyone can help to find where my great grandfather might be buried.

His name was Solomon Robert Smith and he died on 7th April 1946 in Ilford South in the County of Essex. He served as a soldier in the Royal Artillery in WW1 and then joined the post office after the war. I have fiund out about everything I can on him but thought that the final piece of the jigsaw would be finding his final resting place. His address at the time of his death was 88A Ley Street, Ilford.

Unfortunately I live in Scotland and have no relatives in London (or England) that I could ask for help. My grandfather died some years ago so I cannot get any help there and my dad has no idea.

I have been successful finding my great uncle's grave in France - he died as a POW in WW1 and some of my Scottish Ancestors but haven't a clue where to begin with Solomon.

Would anyone be able to offer any advice?

Thanks

Steven

http://www.aim25.ac.uk/cgi-bin/vcdf/...&coll_id=12967 This site looks interesting for burials up to 1966 Ilford

Edna

Comment

Essex Society for Family History has much to offer in the way of genealogical research for members and non-members

This site has available CDs of MIs in Essex

Edna

Comment

Thanks Edna will check it out

Steven

Comment

Steven

By that time (1946) I would think he would either be at Manor Park, City of London, Woodgrange, Chingford Mount or East London City and Crematorium.

I would plump for the City of London and Manor Park first. I think they will look through the burial register for you at the City of London can't remember how much I was going to post the link but it's now got some video on it oh well I will anyway. But you need to know the date of death (well at least the quarter and year), name and birth date.

I'll pm you the contact at Manor Park.

Couple of lesser known ones Chadwell Heath Cemetery‎ and Eastbrookend Cemetery‎.
          Last edited by Guest; 07-06-10, 21:50.

Comment

Thanks Maggie I have a copy of his death certificate which gives date of death as 7th April 1946. His full name was Solomon Robert Smith and his date of birth was 28th November 1895 and he was born in Limehouse in Stepney - I have his birth certicate also.

Steven

Comment

Maggie you mentioned that the LMA might have records of burials - is this available through Ancestry? If so would anyone be able to help as I don't have a membership with Ancestry at the moment. If not will call the number you gave me Maggie and pay the fee to see if they can do a search for me.

Thanks

Comment

I was going on the information and link that Edna posted above to be honest.

I don't have experience of finding burials that way though but then I had an inkling where my lot would be.

Edit: I will check on Ancestry to see what information they have.
                Last edited by Guest; 08-06-10, 18:28.

Comment

Maggie sorry to be a bit dim but any ideas how I search for graves on that link - been on it an hour and can't get anywhere!!!!

Edna any ideas how I would look for Solomon on it?

Thanks and apologies for being a pain

Steven

Comment

Steven

Unfortunately it's only the cataglogue reference I would assume you'd have to make a visit to the LMA in London to search.

I did a search on the information on Ancestry and he's not coming up on the records they have.

Comment

If I phone the number you gave me Maggie do they search one cemetary and pay the fee, then you pick another cemetary, pay the fee and so on until you hopefully get a match?

The only thing in the back of my mind is that you mentioned a crematorium - my grandfather was cremated, the first ever in our family and wonder if that was because his father was cremated. Also on Solomon's war record he had changed to Robert Solomon Smith but on the death certificate it was back to Solomon Robert Smith

Steven

Comment

It's just the one cemetary so you would pay a fee for a search on that particular cemetary I gave you the Manor Park details. I would expect you would have to pay for each search at each cemetary unfortunately.

Comment

Thanks Maggie

Comment

Forgot to say its harder and more expensive than looking in Scotland - for my Scottish great grandfather I called a couple of cemetaries and they looked free of charge and gave me a map and directions!!!!

Must be more popular in England

Steven

Comment

Can I ask one final silly question. Solomon's wife remarried after his death to an Eric Leonard Rolfe and she died in 1984 in Ilford Essex - would be be buried with her 2nd husband or 1st? I know its silly and most likely her 2nd husband but just wondered.

Her maiden name was Ward

Steven

Comment

I don't think there is any 'right' answer to that qyestion. I know of those who were buried with first spouse although narrued tio secind spouse longer. i also know of those buried with second spouse for whatever reason.

Anne

Comment

Originally posted by stevie2006 View Post
                                  Forgot to say its harder and more expensive than looking in Scotland - for my Scottish great grandfather I called a couple of cemetaries and they looked free of charge and gave me a map and directions!!!!

Must be more popular in England

Steven
                                  Steven, I did the same with a cemetery in Hampshire. Some of them are pretty good and will have a look for you. If I were you I'd try ringing the cem direct, what do you have to lose?
                                  Jules

I'anson of Lincolnshire and Yorkshire. Bannister of Lincolnshire. Burnett of Northumberland. Carter of Sussex and Hampshire. Goldring of Sussex and Hampshire. Fitzgerald of Goodness knows where. Smith of Yorkshire and Lincolnshire. Dixon of Lincolnshire. Payne of Hampshire

Comment

Hi Stevie,
                                    You have the death cert, so you know date of death and perhaps his usual place of abode?
                                    I would try googling to find out the local newspapers for that area, for 1946, and then contact the main library in the nearest big town to his place of residence, to ask if they have copies/microfilm of the paper.
                                    I would ask for a search of obituaries for up to a week or so after the death, in the hope that there might have been notification of the death and funeral arrangements. (That might help you know whether it was a cremation, or burial, and hopefully, where. I wouldn't have thought the library charge for a search would be very expensive?)
                                    Jay
                                    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Hi guys thanks for the replies. Maggie kindly gave me a number to try first which I will do. Then its onto some cemetaries direct so see if they can help. Hopefully it will help that I have Solomon's birth, marriage and death certificates. Solomon was married to Isabella Ward from 1918 until his death in 1946 and then she married Eric Leonard Rolfe in 1948 (I have ordered the marriage certificate for that). Isabella died on 11/7/1984 in Clayhall, Ilford, Essex but again was listed as widow so she must have outlived two husband's.

I think from my dad that Solomon and Eric were friends and when Solomon died she knew him already and then married him. My dad used to call Eric Basil - he can't remember why - so that was a wild goose chase until I found out his name was Eric Leonard!!!!

Fingers crossed I get a result

Steven

Comment

Hi Maggie sorry to bother you - out of the two ie Manor Park and City of London what would you feel would be most likely? Would any more cemetaries come into the equation? You seem to know the area and I would value your opinion. My grandfather was the 1st in the family that I know of to be cremated and I wonder if his father ie Solomon was cremated. If so would the one you recommended be the best option and was this common in 1946?

I suppose I am trying to get an idea of the possibilities before I start stabbing in the dark. I thought at first that £7.50 was a bit expensive for them to check if someone is buried in their cemetary but then my wife pointed out that I have ordered perhaps 3/4 incorrect death/birth certificates that have been wrong in the past so there is no real difference in what I am attempting now and when I receive the wrong certificate. If you are right....... then its all worthwhile

Regards

Comment

Working...
                                        X