X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pre 1901 census help

I'm going crossed eyed with this!

1911 census -
    John Jordan Bouverie born 1865 Kettering, Northants. living in Portsmouth, occupation Advertising Manager, South Parade Pier.

1901 census -
    John G Boiwerie born 1865 Kettering living in Portsmouth Hoy Inn, The Quay, Poole.
    visitor - married - occupation Steam Boat Agent.
    - also listed in 1901 is Mary A Boiwerie born 1872 Queenstown, Cork, Ireland - married - presume John's wife.

I believe the name should be BOUVERIE - can anyone see any evidence of John pre 1901?
    Elaine

1911 census says John has been married for 16 years, therefore married c1895 - but can't see anything on Ancestry for this.
    Elaine

Comment

I've searched every variation I can think of, but I can't find him either. checked 1891 and 1881. Will keep looking though.
      Jules

I'anson of Lincolnshire and Yorkshire. Bannister of Lincolnshire. Burnett of Northumberland. Carter of Sussex and Hampshire. Goldring of Sussex and Hampshire. Fitzgerald of Goodness knows where. Smith of Yorkshire and Lincolnshire. Dixon of Lincolnshire. Payne of Hampshire

Comment

Thanks Jules. I'm trying to disprove that he doesn't belong to my tree but until I can find where he came from it's a bit difficult!
        Elaine

Comment

Sorry Elaine, if you can't find it then I think it's a good guess that it's not to be found! :D
          Vivienne passed away July 2013

Comment

Thanks Vivienne! :D

Any research with this side of the family drives me mad - the name is rarely transcribed correctly. I tried to order an Irish birth and death certificate and gave up after about six months of trying - in the end I employed an Irish researcher who found it mistranscribed as Bonverie in the Irisih BMDs!
            Elaine

Comment

freebmd has a john jordan wilcox born 1865 in west derby - maybe he took another name later if his mummy remarried?
              Angelina

Comment

Thanks Angelina.
                I tried looking for possible in freeBMD just using the two first names but couldn't see anything hopeful. West Derby puts me off on that one as he is consistent in the two censuses that I found him that he was born in Northamptonshire.
                Elaine

Comment

I've had a look Elaine, but no luck either.

Nearest I got was John J Pearson born 1866 Kettering Northants, listed as Grandson in 1871.

RG10; Piece: 1502; Folio: 112; Page: 23; GSU roll: 829769.
                  Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Thanks Wendy. I'll see if I can follow him through the census.
                    Elaine

Comment

I can see John Pearson through to 1901, still living with his mum - occupation coach painter, so obviously not the one! Thanks for looking Wendy.
                      Elaine

Comment

I guess you have discounted this family? http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...try&h=12193414

they come from ireland but are in N/hants for a few years.
                        Julie
                        They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
                          I guess you have discounted this family?
                          No I hadn't .. but I have now.
                          Just found him on Ancestry in 1901 transcribed as John Boudrie born Brudovd, Staffordshire.
                          Credit to FMP who had the correct spelling of Bouverie.

You can see what I'm up against with this one! :D

Thanks for looking.
                          Elaine

Comment

Bouverie is deffo a Nothamptonshire name
                            Jess

Comment

Originally posted by Jessbowbag View Post
                              Bouverie is deffo a Nothamptonshire name
                              My lot aren't! Came from France in the early 1800s and were then based in south of England, mainly London and Hampshire.
                              Elaine

Comment

Working...
                              X