How do you find...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you find...

the other spouse in a marriage when 1. It is just a female listed, no men & 2. the page reference is bracketed like this 8c 11[14]8. And how do you order it?

Jackie
    Be nice to your kids...they have to choose your nursing home!

Hi Jackie, brackets normally mean the page number is hard to read i believe.

Do you have a name, to see if it can be found somewhere else.
    Karen

Comment

HI Jackie

Is this your Lady in question whose marriage your trying to locate?

Lillian Taylor bn circa 1867 Headley Lancashire - If so she married a John Alfred Wright bn 1860 and is visible with him in the 1891 census with 2 daughters Ada 1888 and Lillian 1891.

If this is her the way I found him was to enter the page number as you typed it (brackets included) to find her name and YOB oif marriage having that info I then entered the place of event, the year of event and the volume number then I entered 1118 as the possible vol number tha one already had 4 names to it so I then tried 1148 as the other possible. That one only had 3 names to it so I then took each surname and added it to Lillian to try and find them as a couple in the 1891 census, which I did

so I hope got the right lady - if not then this post is going to look silly - lol
      WendyP

Comment

It's always worth looking at the image of the index page (by clicking on the pair of specs if you're on freeBMD), often it's possible to read the entry, and you can be more certain that you are giving the correct details when sending for a certificate.

scuda
        Pitman / Pittman in North Glos (Didbrook, Prestbury, Longhope, Tewkesbury, Stow, Cirencester, etc), London & Australia

Comment

If you're on ancestry you can click the image to see and maybe decide for yourself what the page number should be.
          Margaret

Comment

Thank you everyone. Yes Wendy that was the lady. Ok well that rules that one out. But what if there are 2 women and only one man? Doing that wouldn't work would it?
            The one I am looking for, and I have mentioned this in other posts is an Elizabeth Ann S. Taylor ( Lillian), who married a William Teer. The closest I have come is an Elizabeth Ann Taylor married 1890 and on same page is a William Lees. I ordered this and got a refund from GRO because apparently they weren't married to each other. I was assuming Lees was a mistranscription of Teer ( which happens a lot). Could the GRO have been wrong and How would you get the cert, regardless of what they say? PS ( JAS 8d 700 Cheshire Lancs).
            Jackie

Their first child was Leo, and I have found them on 1891 census as Lillian and William Teer, as Teen in 1901 and have even seen the name spelt Leer!
            Last edited by Jacqueline; 06-06-10, 23:09. Reason: extra info

Comment

HI

Is this the entry of marriage you tried for

Marriages Sep 1890 (>99%)
              --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LEES Henry Ashton 8d 700
              LEES William Ashton 8d 700
              PRESTON Hannah Ashton 8d 700
              TAYLOR Elizabeth Ann Ashton 8d 700

There is a Henry and and an Elizabeth Lees together in the 1891 census but again this could be just luck.

I do remember you original posting abt the Teer lot what a puzzle.
              WendyP

Comment

as a follow up to your previous post

1911 census(this is from the search engine, for more details you have to buy subs) extra details from sub would be how many children alive/dead, and how long they were married.

Chorlton Lancashire

TEER ELIZABETH ANN 1871 40
                TEER FRANK 1904 7
                TEER LILLIAN 1894 17
                TEER WILLIAM 1861 50

this looks like Elizabeths death

Name: Elizabeth A Teer
                Death Registration Month/Year: 1920
                Age at death (estimated): 48
                Registration district: Chorlton
                Inferred County: Lancashire
                Volume: 8c
                Page: 691

mm

Comment

Originally posted by Jacqueline View Post
                  Thank you everyone. Yes Wendy that was the lady. Ok well that rules that one out. But what if there are 2 women and only one man? Doing that wouldn't work would it?
                  The one I am looking for, and I have mentioned this in other posts is an Elizabeth Ann S. Taylor ( Lillian), who married a William Teer. The closest I have come is an Elizabeth Ann Taylor married 1890 and on same page is a William Lees. I ordered this and got a refund from GRO because apparently they weren't married to each other. I was assuming Lees was a mistranscription of Teer ( which happens a lot). Could the GRO have been wrong and How would you get the cert, regardless of what they say? PS ( JAS 8d 700 Cheshire Lancs).
                  Jackie

Their first child was Leo, and I have found them on 1891 census as Lillian and William Teer, as Teen in 1901 and have even seen the name spelt Leer!
                  You can order the certificate without giving the man's name so GRO would issue against Elizabeth Ann Taylor with the ref you give. I often do this because I don't know the man's name.
                  Margaret

Comment

Jacqueline, I have sent you a PM.
                    Margaret

Comment

Yes Wendy thats the one. The dates seem to fit. The 1911 census which was kindly sent to me via someone else who is researching them, and now very kindly by Margaret, states they were married for 21 yrs. All the children are there except Ethel whom we found living with a Mary Eleanor Green ( Nee Taylor ). Further research has found this Mary E, in Census' with father James and mother Mary J, and Elizabeth Ann S Taylor ( which I knew to be Schofield. and in 1901 I found a John Schofield Taylor living with same Father James and Sister Florence. So I am sure I have the correct family. ( BTW, Have the whole Taylor family 1871,81,91, 01).

jackie

Comment

Mary Mog,
                        Thank you. Yes I did find that death and the two are buried together, with daughter Ethel( Married name Howarth) and Lillian's Husband Leonard Smith. I have that Certificate.

Jackie

Comment

Margaret, Thank you. I have answered your PM.
                          Jackie

Comment

Working...
                          X