Engineer in Brewery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engineer in Brewery?

I have been googling without much luck ? what would he have been employed to do ?
    Thanks

i would think that he would maintain/install the innards of the industry.. pipes/vats etc..

you could try emailing these people

Last edited by Darksecretz; 04-06-10, 11:59.
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

thanks Julie will do, they may be able to tell me something else I want to know

Comment

no probs :D
        Julie

Comment

nice to see you by the way

Comment

ta muchly.. nice to be able to help, and nice to see you too :smilee:
            Julie

Comment

have emailed them thanks

Comment

A brewery engineer could be doing many things, there would be fires to stoke to boil water, pumps and vats to maintain, plus the brewery building to maintain, it does also depend on the brewery as there were several types favoured by different brewing families.
                The Victorians favoured tower breweries where the process starts at the top and uses gravity rather than pumps to shift the liquids around, in that case there would be grain lifts powered by steam engines. In Yorkshire Tetley used it's famous squares for brewing vats which put basically were big lined tanks. Burton on trent favoured the union system where the vats (tanks) are joined together by pipework.
                So as I say it depends on the brewery and it's location as to what an engineer would be involved in.
                Good luck with finding out.
                Life's a journey not a destination.

Currently researching: Makey (Kent), Heath & Neil (London & Devon), Pegg (Norfolk & Suffolk), Gulliford (Cornwall).... Still busy busy!

Comment

thanks for that Andy very interesting

Comment

Hi Val, just out of interest which town are we talking about, or if London what area? It may be that the brewery is still going or the company was taken over by one that is still trading. IF you know the brewery even beter.

Currently researching: Makey (Kent), Heath & Neil (London & Devon), Pegg (Norfolk & Suffolk), Gulliford (Cornwall).... Still busy busy!

Comment

hi Andy I am almost sure its Beamish and Crawfords in Cork Ireland

Comment

Aw nuts! English breweries I am good on, Scottish not bad, but Irish and Welsh breweries ...... I know nothing! Sorry Val I can't help any further with this one :-(

Comment

thats okay Andy have emailed them

Comment

My brother is a recently retired engineer from a brewery. Looking after the brewing machinery, pipework, vats etc is exactly what he did. it was quite an old London brewery and I don't suppose the machinery had changed much from earlier times.

Comment

thanks Greybird I am still waiting for a reply to my email from them

Comment

Working...
                              X