Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Photo dating help please, not confident with my own theories...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photo dating help please, not confident with my own theories...

Hi all,

I am very new to photo-dating, as until recently I didn't think I had any photographs of my ancestors but recently I discoved a handful in an album. I feel so lucky, and can't wait to know who the people are, and learn more about them from the pictures, but although I've read through the various websites and looked at the galleries, comparing mounting types, typeface, costume etc I am still worried that my conclusions might be total rubbish and I've got the wrong ancestor! I would be so grateful if anyone could give me opinions on the photos at all.

Photo 1:

My best guess is that this is Alfred Cresswell Selwyn, born in 1861, and he is about 70 +/- 5 when this photo was taken, making it about 1930?

This is the back of the photo:

Photo 2:

I have *no* idea who this man is, what time he is from or what he does. The name on the back is "C/D Clark", which does fit because the Clarks are part of my family but I can't see anyone in my tree that should have a C/D before their surname. The only male Clark in my tree is William Joseph Clark, born 1854. Any ideas if this could be him? I have looked for the photographers, and it seems (if I am right) that Henry Ward was the photographer but his studio was there until 1931 which seems way too late... The actual photo is about 2.5" x 3.5" which could make it a CDV?

Is any of this right?!

Thanks in advance, I am doubting myself totally!

Rachel x

I think you are right on the first one - I would have said 1930-1940.

The second one I would date between mid 1870s - mid 1880s, which would fit with the age of your gentleman. Can't help on the C/D bit though, sorry!

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Comment

c/d could be initials of the person....sometime what we think is the first name but they sometimes used the second name instead...if you know what i mean lol brenda xxx
      Last edited by Guest; 14-06-10, 07:58.

Comment

Yes, definitely 1930s-40s for the first one. it's a little weird because his collar and tie are a little old-fashioned in comparison with his hat and coat ;).

The second one is probably 1880s-90s indeed. The bowler hat gradually went out of fashion in the 20ieth century. The waistcoat and also his coat.are still double-breasted.

Comment

Working...
        X