• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1901 Irish Census Online NOW

Happy Hunting

Linda http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/

1901 IRELAND is live NOW!

Just been over to the 1911 site and under census year is a drop down for 1901! Wheee, I bet we'll all have many happy hours searching today!

Kate x

Comment

You beat me! Ooh I can't wait to get stuck in though!

Kate x

Comment

Me neither lol.. Already found Grandad and his family. He had already enlisted in the army by 1911. Now I have them all together

Linda
        Last edited by Loopy Linda in La La Land; 03-06-10, 10:04.

Comment

I hope you both don't mind but I've merged these two threads as they're on the same subject...

Comment

Phooey, the query I was hoping it would answer it hasn't - can't find a particular son with his family on 1901, and he apparently appears in both the the English and Irish 1911's! Reasonably rare name so am convinced it's the same chap. Is in Army barracks in England 1911 and listed at home with mother in Ireland 1911, but as a Lieutenant in the army. Need to conform his name - John, John Conrad, or Conor! With a surname of Pringle he shouldn't be that hard to find, but he uses all three first names in various documents, records and family books.

Have also discovered the wonderful non-ageing phenomenon again - lots of my folks age only 6 or 7 years between censuses, and one de-ages if that's possible!

Kate x

Comment

I've got a long list saved of a name in the OH's line giving me even more variant spellings than before DOH!! but sadly still no obvious link to the family in Scotland. Another bit of info to add to great store :-)

Comment

Thanks for the reminder, Linda. Found G.grandma Elizabeth Gleeson, where I thought she might be....living with her son's family in Cork prior to emigration....but her son has disappeared from the family home. Drat! And she seems to have grown eight years younger, miraculously.

The rest of the family have not only messed with their ages...they've gone all 'Irish' with their surnames. And others I know were there, are in hiding.

Is the transcription complete, does anyone know, or are there portions of Kerry missing?

Beverley

Comment

they do say some bits are missing for now

Comment

Thanks Val....bet they are the bits with the Gleeson missing links :(

Beverley

Comment

Missing Townlands/Streets
                      A number of townlands/streets do not appear in the online census for 1091 and 1911, mostly due to their never having been microfilmed, and thus never digitised. This is being remedied, and the missing material will be placed online as soon as possible. A list of the missing material will shortly appear on this page.
                      The records for some streets and townlands have never been in the custody of the National Archives, and these will be clearly indicated.

Comment

Think these three ran out of fingers and toes for counting, and had to guess!

Jay
                        Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Originally posted by Janet in Yorkshire View Post
                          Blimey 122 years of age!!
                          Margaret

Comment

It may have been difficult to get and confirm the information as John was deaf and none of them could read.

I was glad to see the census as I have my Lamble family getting married in Limerick in 1898 and having children there until 1908 ..he was in the army... but not one Lamble on the census.

Comment

Great to have this data online now - just found my grandmother aged 12 in 1901 and found her 'proper' name as opposed to the one we all thought she had!!
                              Can now find her birth record - yippee!
                              Margaret

Comment

My Aunts mother was always called Josephine but we have now confirmed it was Bridget ? thanks to the 1901 census and a kind lady that got the Cert for me which I thought was wrong LOL

Comment

Isn't this a great resource? I am amazed that it is all free to view,including the actual returns filled in by the householders. And have you all found "Form B1" which gives a wealth of detail about each house? It's fantastic - I'm so excited by it. ;D;D

I've found my great great grandfather who was born on the Island of St Helena in 1822 when his soldier father was part of the garrison guarding Napoleon...although he says he was born in Ireland on the census. He has a 12 year old grandaugher living with him, born in London and she is the sister of my Grandma who is missing from the England 1901 census. I've spent ages trying all variations of name etc to find her and the naughty girl was hidng in Ireland all the time!

Ann
                                  ".... thy memory shall be blest by the children of the children of thy child".
                                  Alfred, Lord Tennyson

Comment

its amazing isn't it and to be free too ???? shame others aren't

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                                      its amazing isn't it and to be free too ???? shame others aren't
                                      Considering what financial difficulties Ireland is in. it's even more surprising they haven't seen this as a way of making some money.Museums in Ireland are free too. My daughter and son in law who both work in the public sector in Ireland have had to take huge pay cuts this year, coupled with a big hike in their tax rate so I don't think that the fact that anyone in the world can access these records for nothing will go down too well in their household! Aren't we always told that the reason we have to pay so much to see any of our historical records online is because it costs so much to put them on in the first place? There's something that doesn't quite add up here to my mind.

But I'm still glad to have these records for nothing!

Ann
                                      ".... thy memory shall be blest by the children of the children of thy child".
                                      Alfred, Lord Tennyson

Comment

Working...
                                      X