Where's William

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where's William

William Rough, I *think* his parents were called William Rough and Mary, but I'm not 100% sure about that. But he was born 7 Nov 1809 in Pancras & Christened in Pancras church on 14 Oct 1810. On 20 April 1834 he married Mary Hart in St James Westminster. In 1851 census they lived at 56 Clarence Gardens (Camden) and on this census he is listed as a house painter. In the 1861 census Mary was now a widow and living at 31 Princes Street off Oxford Circus (Westminster St James). She died 1868 and was buried in East Finchley (Marylebone) cem, single paupers plot.
    I have checked rates books & elec regs & directories but cannot find out when they moved from Camden to Westminster.
    I don't know if he was buried in inner London before the 1853 burial act came into force, or after this date when burials were beginning to take place in outer London.
    There is listed a William Rough who died in Greenwich Jan-March 1858 but I can't find this man's plot, and I suspect this is another William Rough (yep, there were 2 of them!!) who lived with his family in Greenwich.
    Trying to find when he passed away and where he is buried.

Naomi, the William Rough on the 1851 census is aged 53, born 1798. Mary is aged 43 born 1808.

Did find a William Rough that died in Camden in 1811, aged 18 months.
    Karen

Comment

Hi KarenS - thanks for that. Frustrating one - the William I'm looking for doesn't want to be found!
      Checked both Pancras Kings Cross and Pancras East Finchley burial list/cem books from 1851-1861 and his wife was definitely widowed by 1861 and their son, Henry's marriage cert confirms it as well. I wondered if he was mis transcribed, and saw a Death Mar 1857 for William Ruff Pancras1b 41 - can't find a burial for him either.

Comment

Hi - Does anyone have any other ideas where to look for a burial in this time frame?

Comment

Working...
        X