Wills made in India...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wills made in India...

I'm trying to see if i can get my g grandfathers Will, he died in India 1916.

How do i go about trying to find/get it. It appears, the family surname is the only one in India at this time.

I've had a look at the NA site with no luck.
    Jacky

No idea, but might be worth contacting the India Office at the British Library, or FIBIS.
    Elaine

Comment

In the British Library's section for India Office Records, they do have a volume which lists Wills. Obviously most of that archive stops at about 1947, since such tasks were properly taken over by the Indian government and its organisations.

I may be going to the British Library again, in a couple of weeks or so, in which case I could look in the Wills index for you... if you can wait that long!

In the meantime, have you checked to se if there's anything useful here: http://indiafamily.bl.uk/UI/Home.aspx
      (I can't see that they've listed Wills, myself).

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thanks Elaine.

Christine, i'd be ever so grateful if you have the time, his name was Augustine Ansboro, died 13 Dec 1916 - Jubbulpore, India aged 62.
        Thank you
        Last edited by Tilly Mint; 31-05-10, 08:28. Reason: mis
        Jacky

Comment

I'll see what I can do. The most likely date is 24 June ~ as a prelude to my attendance at the master-class in the London Song Festival.

So long as I remember to hold onto the notification of this thread in my email, I'll have the info to hand.

Christine
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thanks Christine ;)

Enjoy the London Song Festival
            Jacky

Comment

Thanks, Jacky!

Christine

Comment

Working...
              X