I want to find out more about what a carver and guilder did

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want to find out more about what a carver and guilder did

THOMAS CLARE was born in Southwark, Surrey in 1808 and must have moved up to Cambridge as he married LYDIA SIZER from Chesterton, Cambridge in 1834. His occupations varied :

1849 to 1861 Picture frame maker
    1854 carver and guilder (on one of his children's birth certificates)
    1862 cabinet maker / undertaker (on his death certificate)

I am trying to paint a picture of what sort of business or trade Thomas was involved in. Can anyone add to my laymans description that he would probably have made decorative picture frames guilded with gold. Do you think these would have been made to order or for general sale ?

Presumably he expanded into making larger items later in his life.

Do you think he would have been employed or self employed ?

Any thoughts welcome.
    Simon

"You've got to ask yourself one question. Do I feel lucky ? " (Dirty Harry) - Be lucky; the facts are out there somewhere

http://www.thebirdtree.co.uk

None of your descriptions includes the word "master" which suggests that he would have been employed by others. Journeyman would be an intermediate stage of skill. Sometimes the censuses indicate whether someone was an employer or employee. The skills mentioned all seem mutually compatible.

I'd have thought your guess about his career trajectory is as good as any other: it makes sense with the info you've given.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

This site may give you a little insight into the profession of Frame Maker/Guilder

Edna

Comment

Many thanks Christine and Edna. I am trying to find any trade directories from the Cambridge area which might suggest well known local frame makers & gilders.
        Simon

"You've got to ask yourself one question. Do I feel lucky ? " (Dirty Harry) - Be lucky; the facts are out there somewhere

http://www.thebirdtree.co.uk

Comment

These may help you

Edna

Comment

Working...
          X