Thomas Dummelow alias Whiles Nottingham

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thomas Dummelow alias Whiles Nottingham

As mentioned on previous thread I am trying to find info on this family.

Thomas is my G Grandfathers brother. He was born to Mary Dummelow in Sep qtr 1848 before she married John Whiles. 1851 with parents. 1861 with William and Ann Theaker and his Grandmother Hannah Dummelow. 1871 on Nottingham Jail.

Found on Ancestry that he was tried for Larceny on 14 Jul 1871. Got 6 months hard labour. His name is Thomas Whiles, alias Wild alias Donillo. I presume they mean Dummelow.

After that I have lost him. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. Again all Nottingham.

Just his brother to go now!!
    Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Just browsing through the newspapers and found an article about the trial in the Nottinghamshire Guardian (he stole 3 pairs of women's boots to the value of 11s 3d). There's quite a bit more detail. It doesn't help with what happened after that but if you would like the article, PM me your email address and I can send it over
    Jackie

Comment

Thanks Jackie

Thats great, Will send you a PM.
      Lin

Comment

Jackie

I have found the article from Gale Group at the libarary site I have.

I didn't know that the Nottingham Guardian was on there. Seems as though he was a very naughty boy. Assulting a police Sergeant and fighting, stealing.

There is also a mention of Thomas Whiles in Newark being in trouble and his wife is Agnes. Some one off this site has just sent me a parish record index for Whiles and there is the marriage in Newark so something else to look up.

The article mentions Eliza Brammer and his brother James married her (as per other request of mine)

Just put James into the search on Gale and found he has been stealing from his cousin!!

What chance have I of being good with ancestors like that.

Not proud of it but lovely to find things like this and put meat on the bones.

Thanks for leading me in the right direction
        Lin

Comment

Hi Lin

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner but I'm pleased that you managed to find the article. There are a couple of other articles for Thomas Whiles and , if I remember rightly, there were some other Whiles males. I'm not sure whether they are the right people though but it may be worth you looking at them. I'm afraid they were mostly getting into trouble but I think most of us (well I certainly have :o) will have found some ancestors that had 'brushes with the law'.
          Jackie

Comment

Jackie
            Thanks Jackie

Found the lot of them.

The trouble with this family is that the parents split and children were sent to any relative that would have them by the looks of things so they didn't have a good start to life.

I found this with another family of mine. The mother died when the youngest children were young and they did petty crime but the older ones who were already married seemed settled
            Lin

Comment

Working...
            X