Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Whiles born 1830 Nottingham

Hi

I am trying to tidy up some loose ends on my tree.

I can't find the death of John Whiles. He was born 1830 in Nottingham. Have him on every census up to 1901. He marries Mary Dummelow on 22 Jun 1850. With her on 1851 and 61 census. He is a widower!! on 1871 with Eliza Draper as lodger, 1881 with Eliza as wife, 1891 with Eliza as Draper again. They marry on 4 Aug 1900. 1901 as man and wife.

Eliza died on 15 Jan 1907 and John registers her death. I can't find him on 1911 census either.

Any help would be appreciated. This is all Nottingham.

Also posting about 2 of his sons on another thread so be warned!!

Thanks
    Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Hi Lin, I couldn't find him at all on the 1911 and I tried a few spelling variations.

On ancestry deaths I kept coming up with John WILLIES Q1 1909 @ Southwell Nottinghamshire aged 80
    I don't know the Nottingham area at all - but I did wonder if he had been transcribed wrongly as Willies?

Comment

Thanks for that but Southwell is a fair distance from the centre of Nottingham where they had always lived but will have a look.

There are so many different spellings as well. I'm sure I tried the address for her death on 1911 and he wasn't there.
      Lin

Comment

Just had a look at John Willies and he is on 1901 census at Oxton which is near Southwell.

Thanks anyway
        Lin

Comment

hi

was the address on ther death cert the same as in the 1901 census 15 Woburn st

mm

Comment

Yes it was. I can't remember now if I have looked at Elec Registers but probably not as I usually add it to FTM
            Lin

Comment

Hi

what I find very strange is that number 15 is missing from the 1911 census, maybe he was missed out, all the other numbers are more or less there

mm

Comment

Hi MM

I thought I had had a look at 1911 census but didn't have a copy. That must be the reason why. Wonder if he was somewhere else or in hospital. Thats a thought, hospitals often do initials only.

Off to see what I can find.
                Lin

Comment

there is a John Wiles died Nottingham March 1912 7B 359 aged 75 I know the age is out but that would depend on who registered the death?

Comment

Val, I did spot that but there is a John Wiles born 1835 on the 1901 census and I think that is him.

He just doesn't want to be found
                    Lin

Comment

cant find him in 1911 either sorry

Comment

Thanks for looking Val.
                        Lin

Comment

Just popping in after 5 yrs to let you know that I now have deceased on line. Plowing my way through my Nottingham deaths as it is very well documented as all the local cemeteries are now transcribed.

I have found John Whiles being buried on 29th Apr 1908 at The General Cemetery Nottingham with his Daughter and Son in Law Richard and Jane Eatch.

Just a reminder not to give up.
                          Lin

Comment

Originally posted by Lin Fisher View Post
                            Just popping in after 5 yrs to let you know that I now have deceased on line. Plowing my way through my Nottingham deaths as it is very well documented as all the local cemeteries are now transcribed.

I have found John Whiles being buried on 29th Apr 1908 at The General Cemetery Nottingham with his Daughter and Son in Law Richard and Jane Eatch.

Just a reminder not to give up.
                            that's good then Lin, presumably now you have his death entry from the index too? [I also have a few burials I think from General Cemetery, well I presume that is where they are buried though I can't be 100%, but they lived on Cliff rd, and that isn't that far from there]
                            Julie
                            They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
                              that's good then Lin, presumably now you have his death entry from the index too? [I also have a few burials I think from General Cemetery, well I presume that is where they are buried though I can't be 100%, but they lived on Cliff rd, and that isn't that far from there]
                              duh! I just checked and he was buried at Wilford Hill... duh! [southern cemetery]
                              Julie
                              They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Hi Julie

Yes I have found the death reg but still wouldn't have realised it was him. He is under John Whiler but in the Bingham area. Still don't know why that area. I now have quite a few cert to get but I don't feel the rush to get them as I already know so much about them.

I have been shocked where some of mine have been buried.
                                Lin

Comment

Update

Just to le you know I have the certificate and a bit of a shock.

Cause of death: Found dead in the River Trent. There being no evidence to show how he got into the river.

The reason it was a shock is that 2 of his grandchildren committed suicide by drowning themselves. One in the Trent and one in the canal. Also one of his G Grand daughters drown herself in the trent. She was pregnant.

A bit frightening. Will keep away from water for a bit!!
                                  Lin

Comment

There's a piece in the paper Lin

Nottingham Evening Post 27 April 1908

THE TRENT TRAGEDY
                                    VERDICT OF ''FOUND DROWNED''

At the inquiry held at Radcliffe, this afternoon, by Mr. H Bradwell on the body of John Whiles, ??? was found in the Trent at Holme Pierrepont, on Saturday the jury returned a verdict of ''Found Drowned''

Radcliffe comes under Bingham reg.

I went to school in Radcliffe!
                                    Last edited by Elaine; 23-07-16, 20:13.
                                    Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
                                    http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

Thanks Elaine.

Thought there might be something in the paper but needed to go to the library to look. Herbert Bradwell was the deputy coroner who registered the death.
                                      Lin

Comment

Working...
                                      X