National Burial Index

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• National Burial Index

I have heard about and noticed it being advertised but have never looked into the National Burial Index. I understand that the latest version is now available and wonder whether the content would justify the price - how useful is it and how much information does it give for any particular entry.
    dreen22

I don't have it, mainly because not many of my areas have particularly good coverage, but I found this: http://www.ffhs.org.uk/projects/nbi/nbi-coverage.php, which will help make up your mind;

FMP has some of it, but I am not sure if it is all on there: http://www.findmypast.co.uk/parish-r...edef=0&event=D

Caroline
    Caroline's Family History Pages
    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

I asked the question a while back as to whether FMP had everything loaded that the new 3rd edition of the NBI had - and it was suggested it was very unlikely as not all the contributors to NBI have agreed to the inclusion of what they put together going on to FMP

I recently had the chance to check out the latest NBI at one of the FHS I belong to - and definitely - there are records on there that are not on FMP

To answer the original question of what info is on it - this is one I was able to get before Ancestry indexed the more recent death records - it certainly saved a lot of trawling

George Henry LINGARD
      Buried 15 Feb 1952
      Age 95
      St George's, Great Bromley

It also told me the record was contributed by the Essex Society for Family History

Cheers
      Sue

Comment

I have NBI 2 and was thinking of upgrading to NBI 3 but on checking the coverage there was no increase in numbers in the counties I am interested in so I haven't.
        Mike in Droitwich

My family tree is on
        http://mjfisher.tribalpages.com

Comment

I do have NBI3. Some counties have more than doubles the number of entries, while others have no added any since NBI2. The information given is: Name; Date; Age (if available); Parish; County. It does not include all those little extras you get in some Parish Records such as cause of death or realtionships. However I find it useful for searching for less usual names.

Anne

Comment

I have NBI3 but I haven't had previous additions. For me personally it has been great as I have been able to add many burials to my tree. The coverage for some counties isn't very good but I have had good success with other counties, and the burials for one line in Sussex enabled me to add another 40 names to my tree!
            Elizabeth
            Research Interests:
            England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
            Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

I have got it too, and I've only found one record of any real use!

I'm finding the gaps in the coverage really frustrating - I'm interested in families who seem to swop between 2 adjacent parishes in N Yorks but the NBI only has records for one!

As with any other index, you need to consult the actual PRs to get the full details such as occupation or a more exact location for where they lived.
              Vicky

Comment

Just been looking at this CD on http://www.genfair.co.uk/ and must say that at £30 (with free p&p) it's remarkable value, especially as the counties I'm interested in have a good coverage... actually I'm so impressed I'm going to buy it.... sold!

Comment

Originally posted by SueNSW View Post
                  I asked the question a while back as to whether FMP had everything loaded that the new 3rd edition of the NBI had - and it was suggested it was very unlikely as not all the contributors to NBI have agreed to the inclusion of what they put together going on to FMP

I recently had the chance to check out the latest NBI at one of the FHS I belong to - and definitely - there are records on there that are not on FMP
                  Cheers
                  Sue
                  Hi
                  These counties from NBI3 do not appear on Findmypast.
                  Berkshire, Buckinghamshire,Cumberland,I of Man (very few records) Oxfordshire,Rutland (very few records) and Westmorland (very few records)
                  Moggie

Comment

I was looking at several parishes in Essex - so it's not just full counties that don't appear - but parishes within counties too

Cheers
                    Sue

Comment

I very much appreciate all your replies re:NBI Index, a mixed reaction but the overall opinion seems to be that it could be helpful if the particular parish you want is included. I looked on Find My Past but for mine, mainly London, for entries from 1920's there is nothing. I found one possibility in 1834 and further back (late 1700 Cornwall) a whole list which, of course would cost credits for each listing, of course, that would make a good reason to purchase the index.

My only concern is what is contained within a hit? I wouldn,t expect a detailed history of the person as long as the date and place of burial was clear.

Again, many thanks for all replies.

dreen 22

Comment

I have a FMP sub but I have still found lots of burials on NBI3 which I couldn't get from FMP.
                        Elizabeth
                        Research Interests:
                        England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
                        Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Findmypast offer a 14 day free trial which gives you the opportunity to have a quick look round to see if you think their databases are going to be of use to you. The free trial doesn't cover everything on their site but I think parish registers are included. (1911 census and the new Chelsea Pensioner records definitely aren't included.)
                          Elaine

Comment

It depends on the original source how much you get, but FMP uses these headings:
                            First name, last name, date of burial, age at death, year of birth calculated from age at death if given, place of burial, name of church and the county and sometimes a note which might give a relationship.
                            Early ones tend to give just the name, date of burial and church.

They don't just have the NBI: http://www.findmypast.co.uk/helpadvi...ex.jsp#burials

There is more about what you will find about Parish registers and when on: FTF Guide Parish Registers

Caroline
                            Caroline's Family History Pages
                            Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Dreen, I've just checked the actual coverage for Cornwall on my copy of the NBI, and there is nothing prior to 1813. There are about 111,000 records for the whole of Cornwall, covering 211 parishes. If you know a couple of specific parishes I can check for you whether they are on.

Ditto London/Middlesex - not many, and I didn't see anything 20th century unfortunately. I'm going to have to wait a while longer to find out the whereabouts of my gt grandfather who died in 1930.
                              Vicky

Comment

the london ones would be best on ancestry i think. or if theyre 20th century, contacting cemeteries may help.

Comment

Working...
                                X