Deciphering 1841 census entry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deciphering 1841 census entry

I'm struggling to decipher the 1841 census entry for Joseph Pitman in Broadway Worcestershire: RG number: HO107, Piece: 1204, Book/Folio: 10/36, 10/36 Page: 13

I can see he's born out of county, which is correct for the person I think this is, but can anyone make out his age and occupation please? Also, are the next two names both Mary, and how old are they? Is the baby's name really Sarah as the Ancestry has it? To me it doesn't look the same as Sarah two lines above.

Any help in deciphering this will be gratefully received.

scuda
    Pitman / Pittman in North Glos (Didbrook, Prestbury, Longhope, Tewkesbury, Stow, Cirencester, etc), London & Australia

Joesph 55? occ?
    Amy maybe 30?
    Mary ?
    Sarah 25
    Thomas 2
    Sarah 4 months

looking again it could be Mary aged 30 and Mary aged 10
    Last edited by Karen S; 27-05-10, 20:26.
    Karen

Comment

Joseph´s occupation looks like ??? m
      - possibly shoe m = shoe maker

- there is a similar entry on the facing page.
      Elaine

Comment

I think his age might be 35, comparing with others on the pages.
        Shoe maker - I agree with Elaine

Then I would go
        Mary 30
        Mary 10 (or 111!)
        Sarah 25
        Thomas 2
        Sarah 4months (I think it is Sarah - the stroke at the beginning is the change of household marker /, which is different to the change of house marker //)

Anne

Comment

Yes, I think you're right, Elaine and Anne, he's a shoe maker, I can see it now. I can also see what Anne means about the baby's name being Sarah. The ages are very difficult, though. Ancestry has Joseph 58, Mary 54, but fmp has them as 55 and 50. If Joseph is in his 50s he's probably the man I'm looking for, but in his 30s ..... On the opposite page is Mary (can't read the surname) and she seems to be 35, and the two digits are definitely different. I'm beginning to think Karen is right that Joseph was 55, but maybe that's because it's what I want!

Does anyone else have any ideas?

scuda
          Pitman / Pittman in North Glos (Didbrook, Prestbury, Longhope, Tewkesbury, Stow, Cirencester, etc), London & Australia

Comment

I think he's 55. If you look at the total number of females number at the bottom of the page, there are 15 and the '5' has that funny stroke coming out of the right side
            Jackie

Comment

Thanks Jackie, I hadn't thought of looking at the figures at the foot of the page. It's a strange way of writing '5', but now I'm convinced Joseph was 55 - that's great.

scuda

Comment

Working...
              X