Question about Coventry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about Coventry

Does anyone know if there was a silk weaving industry in Coventry in 1790s?

I don't know - but I do know that my husband's family had some people from Coventry who moved to Spitalfields and were silk weavers there, so I'm guessing they might have been silk weavers previously. Let me check and I'll get back to you.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Thanks Nell - I'm following a similar lead in my OH's family.

I've just googled Coventry silk weaving and yes, there is a connection! I never knew that!

Comment

I've just done the same. Apparently Coventry as well as Spitalfields, was a place of refuge for Hugenots escaping from France and they established weaving there.
        ~ with love from Little Nell~
        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

We have an article in our magazine which will be interesting for you:

In the first of a trilogy of editions dealing with the Industrial Revolution, we concentrate on our ancestors associated with the textiles industry. Velma Dinkley looks at the development of the industry from the cottage weavers to mills and Guinevere looks at silk weaving in Coventry. Olde Crone Holden looks at the life of her hand loom weaver and Simon in Bucks at his ancestors who were linen collar cutters. Jill on the A272 and Margaret of Burton explore the different lives of their tailoring ancestors and we have two articles about lace, one from Elizabeth Herts who looks at hand made lace from Devon and Mary from Italy tells the story of her ancestor who manufactured lace in Nottingham.

It appeared in February 2009 .
          Caroline
          Caroline's Family History Pages
          Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Thanks, Caroline, I'll go and have a look

Comment

Ribbon weaving was a very large industry in and around Coventry, and there was a lot of poverty when the industry collapsed in the 1860s.

Comment

Working...
              X