Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newsomes of Batley

Another one to be stuck on
    My g grandmas mum was Charlotte Newsome her mother was Ann Dorcy - m - Abraham Newsome. I can find them on the census back to 1851 - forward to 1891 and they lived in and around Batley / Dewsbury working in the mills. Charlottes brothers have Ann Darcy, Dorsey, Daughtry as being the mother on their certificates.

Looking on the marriage records I have found Ann Dorcy m 1855 (dates seem to tie) and married to a Newsome - but listed as William!!

Did this happen - or did she really marry his brother - looking through the GRO I cannot find any other name like that marrying Abraham

another one to ponder on I'm afraid!! I thought I was doing well finding Charlottes Birth certificates and all the others - but with so many variations in name I am beginning to wonder.

I have also found an Ann Daughtry on the 1851 census from Ireland living in Leeds - but I suppose until I find her real surname I could be stuck forever

Help!

Is he Abraham on all the censuses? It's possible he was William Abraham or Abraham William or just used another name. I suppose you'd need to get the marriage cert to see if you can tie them in in 1851 with their fathers on the census.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

IGI has marriage 05 OCT 1845 Dewsbury, Yorkshire
      between Abraham Newsome and Ann Daughtry

Comment

Freebmd has marriage between Abraham Newsome and Ann Daughtry
        1845 Dec Dewsbury vol 22 p.21

Comment

Thanks for that Little Nell - one problem with that one - he would only have been 12 (if the census data is right) right name right people but 10 years out. He has been listed as Abraham Newsome throughout - I think they could be the right people but surely he couldn't have married so early!! I think I have also found Ann Daughtry on the 1851 census as a lodger which seems about right - Dewsbury and Batley took a lot of Irish mill workers but the dates don't match!! so either I have the wrong dates on this info or the wrong dates on all the census (I am inclined to believe the census as it would put everything out of order)
          I'm confused !

Comment

It seems unlikely that two Abraham Newsomes would marry two Ann Daughtrys, but who knows! I suppose you could try seeing if you can find an alternative Abraham and Ann on the census to match the married couple.

Comment

Originally posted by Little Nell View Post
              It seems unlikely that two Abraham Newsomes would marry two Ann Daughtrys, but who knows! I suppose you could try seeing if you can find an alternative Abraham and Ann on the census to match the married couple.
              Funny you should say that Little Nell - there are 2 Abrahams and Anns in the BAtley area and on the census. I am inclined to think that this one isn't mine (the time scales cannot possibly match) I am also inclined to think that the Ann Daughtry on the 1851 census age 19 could possibly be one of mine. I have sent for CHarlottes other brothers and sisters birth certificates to see if there is any other name on it. I think that Daughtry (or whatever connotation) is a pretty common Irish name and there were loads of Irish mill workers at that time in Dewsbury.

I will have to see what the Birth certificates bring up!

Comment

Working...
              X